Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bull Whip on a Touring Bike? What's up with that?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bull Whip on a Touring Bike? What's up with that?

I saw one on a Touring bike today for the 1st time but I've seen them on other bikes for years.

Why do guys put bull whips on their handle bars? My friend said they whip cars or other bikers with them but that doesnt make any sense. I always see them on the throttle side so the bike would be slowing down and they would be swinging it against the wind.

I would imagine other people would grab it and cause more problems for them then they could do harm with it?

So whats the deal? Is it just another thing to try to look like a tough guy or is there some history behind it Im not aware of?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

It's called a get back. It's decorative.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been riding for 32 years and still have no idea why the hell anyone would want something like that hanging off their bike.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume its obvious that its not my thing but Im really not trying to talk crap I really want to know what its all about.

If its meant to be used as a weapon I honestly think it would hurt them more than it would help. If someone grabbed that and pulled they would have a hell of a time keeping that bike on 2 wheels.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Antnee 2004 FLHT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They normally have a quick release clip to keep someone from pulling you over or to grab it quickly. Some of my buddy's have them and they use them more for decoration to display their club colors. Trust me though you could get someones attention in a heart beat whipping it at their window.

Old-School "Getback Whip"
The History Lesson
There's a history behind these "Getback Whips". Back in the day, you'd see bikers hanging whips from their clutch or brake levers as they rode. The leather whips were usually made from the biker's club colors. But the whips were used for a whole lot more than just showing off the club colors. The whip could be quickly released and used "in case of emergency" to swing at anything that was causing a threat to the biker, hence the name "Get Back Whip". Whips attract attention and help catch the eye of other drivers. Today the whips are used for asthetic reasons, colors are choosen to match the bikes.

You can find more by doing an internet search. I found this one at ironbraid.com.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Antnee 2004 FLHT
Cruiser

You could double its use by bringing it into the bedroom at night. Hope that helped.

Last edited by Antnee 2004 FLHT; 05-10-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: For some reason the site double posted me.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,826 Likes on 8,403 Posts

Yep, it's for various reasons.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Antnee 2004 FLHT
They normally have a quick release clip to keep someone from pulling you over or to grab it quickly. Some of my buddy's have them and they use them more for decoration to display their club colors. Trust me though you could get someones attention in a heart beat whipping it at their window.

The History Lesson
There's a history behind these "Getback Whips". Back in the day, you'd see bikers hanging whips from their clutch or brake levers as they rode. The leather whips were usually made from the biker's club colors. But the whips were used for a whole lot more than just showing off the club colors. The whip could be quickly released and used "in case of emergency" to swing at anything that was causing a threat to the biker, hence the name "Get Back Whip". Whips attract attention and help catch the eye of other drivers. Today the whips are used for asthetic reasons, colors are choosen to match the bikes.

You can find more by doing an internet search. I found this one at ironbraid.com.
Sounds like a sales pitch to me. I have been around 1% clubs most my life and never started seeing those until the last 10 or 15 years. Even as a kid I was around Mongals and Red & White. I just never saw those back in the day.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Antnee 2004 FLHT

The History Lesson

Interesting history but, man, how things have changed. You whip somebody's car these days and they are either gonna run you over or shoot you in a road rage incident.

Crazy to say, but the days of fisticuffs, knives, chains and whips are more and more a thing of the past. Those days almost sound quaint!

I and maybe most of us could crush a wee little gang banger if the punk kid didn't have a 9mm in his pocket. You just never know now. Unreal.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:58 PM
trlrdr
Intermediate

i have a buddy that use to be in an outlaw gang,he said they were originally used by the headdogs to show who the leaders were.he was probably feeding me some bs tho.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bull Whip on a Touring Bike? What's up with that?