Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Main shaft seal replacement HELP!!!!

Old 08-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Main shaft seal replacement HELP!!!!

Ok well I decided to jump in with both feet and replace the Main Shaft seal my self. Got me the service manual and went to work. Got all the way to the point of removing the main shaft bearing race and hit the wall. Well I guess I should have checked on tool prices before I jumped right in. As most of you probably already know. These tools are not cheap. Harley wanted well over 400 bucks for the tools necessary to do the job. As I decided to do this over at my parents place as they have an air conditioned garage and it is hot as hell here in AZ. Point being all I had was the phone to check on tools. After I recovered from the shock of the cost of tools and my stupidity of jumping in before I checked into this, I just decided to bolt it all back up and do more research. I found tools on ebay for a reasonable price. What I am now woundering is exactly how you pull that main shaft seal out. Does the main shaft itself come out? This has me confused. This experience now has me doubting my ability to replace this damn thing. I do not have the service manual here ( I am at work ) so I thought I would post this up and see if you guys could give me an answer as it is really driving me crazy thinking about this. So if some one can explain what is left once you get the final drive pulley off that would be great. As you can see from the pics I think I was just aobut done!!!!!

Mike

Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Main shaft seal replacement HELP!!!!

Bearing race must be pulled.Shop could pull it for you probably for a few bucks.Bike would need trailored of course.Seal can removed using small metal pick like tool.Take your time with this seal to not damage bore area or tranny side case.Seal has metal outer casing with rubber inner area.You may or may not need a puller for the pulley also.Check the splines on this pulley while its out.They wear and will eventually round out.Buying tools for one time job is costly.Yet these tranny seals dont live long with harder riding.Doing this work for others would pay.If not,any shop would be glad to pull everything for you.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the info, one other thing. Does the main shaft have to be pulled to replace the seal? I am sure once I get the drive pulley off things will be more clear. Just do not see how you would pull the seal if the shaft is still in there....

Old 08-11-2006, 09:38 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have access to a machine shop or a machinist that can help you, you can make a tool very easily to remove the race. After the race is off you can pull the seal using a small screw driver and forcing it in the lip area and prying out. It sounds aggressive but really isn't as long as you are careful. If you would like some more info on making the tool, let me know and I will post detailed info.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:02 PM
JRFLHR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your replacing that seal you should also replace the shifter seal while your there.I have read Cometic has a better seal than Harley.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:25 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

did you take the pully off? if you didn't, then take it off. the pully will slip off over the top of the bearing. now you will see the seal. this is how i take the seal out. take a small drill( 1/8" will work) and drill a hole in the seal where there is metal. about 1/2 way between the soft rubber and the trans case. i take some masking tape and roll it around the drill bit so only about 1/4 " of the drill will go through the seal. now screw a small sheet metal screw onto the hole. take a claw hammer and pull the screw out like your pulling out a nail. tha seal will come right out.
ORIGINAL: Stel67

Ok well I decided to jump in with both feet and replace the Main Shaft seal my self. Got me the service manual and went to work. Got all the way to the point of removing the main shaft bearing race and hit the wall. Well I guess I should have checked on tool prices before I jumped right in. As most of you probably already know. These tools are not cheap. Harley wanted well over 400 bucks for the tools necessary to do the job. As I decided to do this over at my parents place as they have an air conditioned garage and it is hot as hell here in AZ. Point being all I had was the phone to check on tools. After I recovered from the shock of the cost of tools and my stupidity of jumping in before I checked into this, I just decided to bolt it all back up and do more research. I found tools on ebay for a reasonable price. What I am now woundering is exactly how you pull that main shaft seal out. Does the main shaft itself come out? This has me confused. This experience now has me doubting my ability to replace this damn thing. I do not have the service manual here ( I am at work ) so I thought I would post this up and see if you guys could give me an answer as it is really driving me crazy thinking about this. So if some one can explain what is left once you get the final drive pulley off that would be great. As you can see from the pics I think I was just aobut done!!!!!

Mike

Old 08-12-2006, 11:46 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bagga

did you take the pully off? if you didn't, then take it off. the pully will slip off over the top of the bearing. now you will see the seal. this is how i take the seal out. take a small drill( 1/8" will work) and drill a hole in the seal where there is metal. about 1/2 way between the soft rubber and the trans case. i take some masking tape and roll it around the drill bit so only about 1/4 " of the drill will go through the seal. now screw a small sheet metal screw onto the hole. take a claw hammer and pull the screw out like your pulling out a nail. tha seal will come right out.
I believe he is trying to replace the seal between the 5th gear/output shaft and the input/main shaft. If this is the seal he is trying to replace there is no need to remove the pulley.

If he is trying to replace the Large case seal you mentioned, then you are correct and the race does not need to be removed. I would not drill any of the seals, too much chance that metal shavings could find their way into bad places.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:41 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

by the looks of the pully it doesn't appear to be the seal between 5th gear and the main shaft that's leaking. there is no oil on the outside of the pully. i have replaced several seals like i described but you can take them out with a screwdriver too. drill the hole near the bottom of the seal. i never had any shavings get into the bearing.