Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD XM Radio Module (P/N 76404-06)

Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
faapilot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD XM Radio Module (P/N 76404-06)

Thinking of putting the XM radio module (P/N 76404-06) onto my 2009 Ultra. Any feedback from those of you that have it would be appreciated. Don't want to spend $600 if I don't have to (Module, bracket and wiring harness.). I have XM in my cager and do like it better than AM/FM stuff.
Thanks in advance....and Ride Safe!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM
jlelliott
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the "in fairing" module. Yes, it is pricey. Way too much for an XM Module. So you have to ask yourself how much value you place on not having to hang a unit on your bars. How much is the seamless integration with your audio system worth to you? You retain full functionality of all your handlebar switches which makes for easier (less distracting) channel surfing while riding. No worries about theft. You need to evaluate those aspects of the module and decide for yourself if they are worth the extra price for you, your riding habits and your XM usage. For me the answer was yes.
On my previous bike I had the bar mounted Road Tech XM system. It worked well and was easy to use, waterproof, etc. I just don't like having stuff on the bars. Either way, XM is a great addition to the bike.

Last edited by jlelliott; 05-14-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 PM
OLNo7Street
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with jlelliot. I just installed this on my Street Glide. Last year had the portable Sirius unit attached to the fairing. It worked ok but didn't like the looks of it hanging around. I sucked it up and bought the XM module. It was a little pricey but it is not seen, works great, and like he said allows you to use your controls to run it. To me it was worth it and I'm glad I did it. Easy install too, I did it myself in less than an hour.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My solution was to put the XM module on my Garmin Zumo 550. Cheaper and works great.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I transferred my unit from my 08 Ultra Classic to my 2010 Ultra Limited. It works off the standard radio handlebar controls and is a clean installation. The system itself works fine, no problems. I would do it again if I had to.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:38 AM
jlelliott
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
My solution was to put the XM module on my Garmin Zumo 550. Cheaper and works great.
I agree, adding XM to your Garmin is a great solution if you don't mind needing to have the GPS on the bike in order to have your XM. The Garmin interface to control XM is easy to use while moving and works well. Personally, I want XM every time I am on the bike but only want the GPS on the bike when I travel. Otherwise I have to worry about taking it off the bike and securing it each time I park.
Your solution has an added benifit. You have the option of moving your GPS/XM back and forth from your bike to your car. I had to buy another subscription to XM and another receiver for the car.
To paraphrase an old saying, "Convenience costs money. How much do you want to spend?"

Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jlelliott
I agree, adding XM to your Garmin is a great solution if you don't mind needing to have the GPS on the bike in order to have your XM. The Garmin interface to control XM is easy to use while moving and works well. Personally, I want XM every time I am on the bike but only want the GPS on the bike when I travel. Otherwise I have to worry about taking it off the bike and securing it each time I park.
Your solution has an added benifit. You have the option of moving your GPS/XM back and forth from your bike to your car. I had to buy another subscription to XM and another receiver for the car.
To paraphrase an old saying, "Convenience costs money. How much do you want to spend?"
Well yes and no. If you put the lock on it no worries about quick walk always but I always ride with the GPS on the bike so it's a non-issue for me. It also allows me to have my cell phone on at all times.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:29 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Have it and love it for over 2 years now. Bought the handle bar mount and didnt like the clutter, especially after adding GPS and laser detector and Ipod too. What really made me change my mind was if you read the instructions that comes with the handlebar mounted receiver, it says if the screen is exposed to too much sun the colors will fade over time.
So if the possibility of that happening were true, then at some point you will be buying another one. That justified the expense of the HD module. Do it right the first time, plus you still get to use the oem controls. Ive never looked back.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:38 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed my XM module, Overlay Harness with antenna and bracket on my '09 Ultra Classic. I also like it a lot better than I do having to search for FM stations while traveling. While the out fairing was off, I did go ahead and install a hidden in-fairing FM antenna that receives a lot better than the stock antenna. I did that mainly because I am in the process of doing a detachable tour-pak setup and doing away with the stock antennas.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:48 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
Have it and love it for over 2 years now. Bought the handle bar mount and didnt like the clutter, especially after adding GPS and laser detector and Ipod too. What really made me change my mind was if you read the instructions that comes with the handlebar mounted receiver, it says if the screen is exposed to too much sun the colors will fade over time.
So if the possibility of that happening were true, then at some point you will be buying another one. That justified the expense of the HD module. Do it right the first time, plus you still get to use the oem controls. Ive never looked back.
I don't think it's technically possible for the colors to fade on an LCD screen. The Sun may damage the screen over time, but fade, I'm highly skeptical. Pixels drop out, back lighting fails but technically I don't think fading is an option. Colors may appear washed out or hard to see in the Sun on some models, sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD XM Radio Module (P/N 76404-06)