Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Sun Glare

Old 05-16-2010, 12:54 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Sun Glare

I mounted my Tom Tom GPS unit to my handlebars, and went on a ride to see how it works. I purchased a "cheapie" mount because I'm not really sure how much I'm really going to need/want a GPS on my bike. Consequently, the mount I bought is limited in terms of the angles and position that you can orient the GPS. However, I was able to position the GPS so I could readily see it. The one problem is encountered was sun glare. Depending on the position of the sun in the sky, as well as the direction I was going, the sun glare would obscure by ability to read the GPS screen. Frankly, I'm not sure that a more expensive, "better" mount would alleviate this problem. Have any of you encountered the problem of sun glare? Is there a solution other than rotating the GPS in a position that minimizes direct sun from hitting the screen (assuming that is possible, and the rider can still see the screeen)?

Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Default C'mon Guys and Gals

With all the threads about GPS units, there must be some commentsout there about my sun glare question above.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Well, FWIW I purchased a sun visor for my Zumo 550 when I bought it...It's still sitting on my workbench and never has been installed. To try to answer your question though, the sun's gonna be where it's gonna be. You're gonna need to position the GPS where you need it to in order to see the screen. Those two angles are not going to change irrespective of the mounting option you choose.

IMO if the sun is over your shoulder, you're going to have some glare on the screen and the mounting system probably won't have a significant variance on that.

Just my thoughts...

Old 05-16-2010, 05:07 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Garmin in a RAM Mount and you are right, mount has little to do with it.

What I found is that I can move the mount a little as mine has 2 ball and sockets for adjustment. Usually, the glare with totally wash it out for a short period and then the road will shift a few degrees and I can see again. I really use mine for general guidance. I will note that my next turn is onto X road in 7 miles. Then I just pay attention as I get closer. Really haven't had that much trouble.

Good luck getting yours ironed out.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 630 Likes on 502 Posts

one advantage to the zummo over tomtom is the screen is brighter and doesnt wash as easily.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Bago
Advanced

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
I mounted my Tom Tom GPS unit to my handlebars, and went on a ride to see how it works. I purchased a "cheapie" mount because I'm not really sure how much I'm really going to need/want a GPS on my bike. Consequently, the mount I bought is limited in terms of the angles and position that you can orient the GPS. However, I was able to position the GPS so I could readily see it. The one problem is encountered was sun glare. Depending on the position of the sun in the sky, as well as the direction I was going, the sun glare would obscure by ability to read the GPS screen. Frankly, I'm not sure that a more expensive, "better" mount would alleviate this problem. Have any of you encountered the problem of sun glare? Is there a solution other than rotating the GPS in a position that minimizes direct sun from hitting the screen (assuming that is possible, and the rider can still see the screeen)?
I have a Tom Tom mounted on a ram mount with a sun stopper which is velcroed to the GPS, works like a charm.
http://www.sunstopper.biz/

Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a gps and sun glare is a problem...I've tried several fixes but to date no help...

Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you wearing polarized sun glasses while looking at the GPS. I can't read any LED display with my polarized Oakley's on.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 AM
StanfordMan
Tourer

It sounds like glare is an issue, regardless of the GPS brand or mount. The Sun Stopper shade sounds like something that will help. In terms of wearing polarized sun glasses, yes, I wear a pair of Maui Jim's. However, when the sun isn't hitting the GPS I can see and read it fine while wearing my polarized sun glasses. If you are saying that non-polarized sun glasses will "see through" the glare, then I guess I'll try and see if that's the case. Thanks for all the comments.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know about the Tom Tom but the Zumo is polarized, If you start your device and put your sun glasses in front of them and slowly turn them and you will find an angle where it will be clear, usually about 45 degrees, then tilt your GPS and see if that helps.