Fuel Moto / Jackpot Mufflers USA's leader in EFI tuning and exhaust systems.

How close is the fuel moto map compared to a tune on a dyno with the PCV?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 PM
bobby5
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How close is the fuel moto map compared to a tune on a dyno with the PCV?

I just recently ordered a PCV from fuelmoto because i herd good things about there map it comes with for the mods on your bike. I was just curious if anybody has any before and after dyno runs with a fuelmoto canned tune and a fully dyno tune? If the fuelmoto tune that comes with the PCV is pretty darn close to a dyno tune i think ill pass on spending $$$$ on a dyno tune. This is one of the main reasons i bought the PCV from Fuelmoto because i herd there tune is pretty close to a dyno tune. The mods i have on my bike is rush mufflers and a SE Stage 1 AC

Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
bubbleb
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it'll be close. but it is always best to have your bike dyno tuned. every bike is different, regardless if it is the same make and model, so having the bike tuned to the personality of your motorcycle is best case scenario.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
bobby5
Tourer

yeah im gonna get it dyno eventually but i plan on doin some other mods to it down the road so i dont want to spend $400 or whatever it cost to get it dyno tuned with just slip ons and a AC.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

A full dyno tune by a competent tuner with the proper equipment works excellent, we very well know as we dyno tune bikes every day. I do however feel you will find the base maps we provide work very well and have been well proven to be very accurate.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
Joseph Jerry Hache (12-26-2020)
Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
bamarider
Tourer

bubbleb is right on this one. My bike has always ran good with Jamie's maps. But I have the auto tune. So with Jamie's assistant I have changed my AFR's to 13.2 and 13.4. Even though the bike ran good, over a period of time using the autotune I kept accepting the trim setting from the auto tune. My bike has went from 34 to 40 mpg and it runs so good! Also the trim settings is getting to the point that changes are minor. With these changes my bike is running also so much cooler. So I would get a dyno or the autotune. It will be worth it.

Originally Posted by bubbleb
it'll be close. but it is always best to have your bike dyno tuned. every bike is different, regardless if it is the same make and model, so having the bike tuned to the personality of your motorcycle is best case scenario.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,760 Likes on 21,281 Posts

Originally Posted by bamarider
It will be worth it.

You sure about that?
If the map and tune are close, I don't really see the value of a tune from a $$$ perspective...not for me anyway...maybe with another system but I don't think it would be significant or cost effective with a PC-V. JMO...

Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbleb
I respectfully disagree that a dyno tune will categorically provide a better tune than a Fuel Moto map. A case in point is my '07 SG that's operated in S. LA, which was originally equipped with a map from Fuel Moto that was created on a '07 RK tuned in MN. Not only did the bike run flawlessly from the start, but when I upgraded to Auto-Tune and left the Target AFRs in the original configuration there were almost no changes made in the trim tables after auto-tuning for a reasonable period. The changes were mostly <2%, the vast majority being zero. This is no more than would be encountered in normal use after a dyno-tune and isn't enough to make a noticeable difference in performance. If you dyno-tuned a bike equipped with a PCV and Auto-Tune, there would still be slight changes in the trim tables reflecting environmental changes once the bike is operated in AT mode after the tune.

Another factor in this equation is the assumption that a dyno-tune will create a map that is as accurate as a Fuel Moto map, and that is a big "if". Unless the dyno-tune is thorough and done by a competent human tuner I personally would bet on the canned Fuel Moto map for the better accuracy.

Another example of the similarity of individual bikes of the same model is that EPA regulations are very strict, and every bike that rolls off the assembly line is equipped with the same ECU configuration, including the fuel map and ignition timing. Every bike must meet EPA regs, and if there was more than a slight difference between them in terms of emissions they would not be using the same map and would be tuned individually. I've talked with several experienced tuners and they all agree that like bikes will vary little in terms of tuning, and a map on one bike will work perfectly in another of the same model and year.

The bottom line is that a PCV map created by Fuel Moto in MN will work fine in another bike run in another location. Running a basic PCV in open-loop (i.e. not auto-tune), the MAP and other sensors compensate very well for changing environmental conditions like altitude, temperature, barometric pressure, etc.

Last edited by iclick; 06-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:21 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I would have to agree that the Fuelmoto maps are very close and there is not much to be gained by a dyno. I've had 2 dynos in the last 3 years on my 07 all with the PC111 I purchased from Jamie. Different but competent tuners. Both showed modest improvement not even felt on my butt dyno. Possibly a little better response.
Finally got a laptop and have been doing a bit of experimenting. I went back to Jamie's map with modifications I made to the cruise range as I do feel his maps are too rich in this area. Zero to 20% throttle up to 3000rpms. Keep in mind my bike is a very early 07 purchased in August, 06 and PC was installed in Sept. 06 so there could have been a learning curve with the new, at the time, 96" motors.
Bike runs great and need one more good ride to determine if I'll stay with the Fuelmoto map. Even if I don't I now think any gains from the dynos were minimal.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 PM
bobby5
Tourer

how much HP did you gain with a dyno tune?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby5
how much HP did you gain with a dyno tune?
Assuming your asking me, about 3 hp, 2 tq. Then the next guy added about the same.
Keep in mind tho that both tuners were able to see the previous guys tune and numbers.
No way they are going to come up with poorer results.
Bottom line is that I wound up with 75hp, 88tq for a stage 1 96" which is about average from what I've seen.