Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Chirping" from 99 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face "Chirping" from 99 RKC

Got a question for all you guys "in the know."

Got a 99 RKC last week and rode it home 495 miles. Didn't ride for a couple days, then showers set in so riding has been minimal. Took it out last night for a nice cruise, everything was great.
Got up this morning and drove to 53 miles to work. Comming home I began to notice a chirping sound. It doesn't do it constantly, it seems to come and go. At first i thought it was from the front, but after trying to lean and listen, I'm not so sure.
Where do I start looking? It's def wheel related as its not consistant with engine rpm.
The PO said he'd been over the entire bike, and I tend to believe him. Should I be looking into the wheel bearings? MC do checks like these? Where's a guy to start?

Looked all over and there's no tweety birds to be found! BTW she's just rolled 29k...

Thanks in advance!
Beav

Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothings definate but last time I was getting a chirp and I do mean a chirp and it was only when the bike was cold and at startup, my head gasket was blown and this was right after 500 mile breakin.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put some lubricant on the muffler mount under your bags where the rubber isolator is. This is a very common area to "chirp"

Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Drive belt. muffler hangers. exhaust leak. loose exhaust shield or clamps.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
I agree that all these could cause the chirping. I know first hand about the muffler hangers, drive belt and loose exhaust shield. I would also make sure the head pipe nuts are torqued correctly. I had a 2001 Road King that was chirping from the head pipe nuts not being torqued to specs. As to the drive belt, you can tell this by pushing up on the belt from the bottom. There should only be a slight give. Spray some silicone on the rubber muffler grommets. Loose heat shield clamps should be replaced with new ones that you can buy at a local hardware store. I can't imagine it being anything with the engine if it doesn't make the chirping noise all the time. Good luck finding the gremlin.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
wrench22
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing you can try is to put some dialectric grease on your belt. As the belt gets older it dries out and will make that chirping sound on decel. Had that problem with my 91 springer,grease took care of it.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the quick response guys...
I know what I'll be chasing this weekend!!!!
Doesn't sound like wheel bearings? That's my big worry...
Thanks again,
Beav

Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
Doesn't sound like wheel bearings?

Got a way to jack the bike up? If so, spin the wheels and listen to see if they sound like crap. They'll usually (but not always) have a grinding noise or a growl. And aother vote for the loose head pipes too.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
Good advice here. I'd start with a little wd-40 on those rear muffler mounts since it's easiest and most likely the culprit.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Cozmic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on all of the above. And I like what Cuda said. Jack the bike up and start spinning. On mine, the break pads are a little tight on the front because they are new. So they make a little chirp sometimes, because the rotors are not perfectly straight.

Quick Reply: "Chirping" from 99 RKC