Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer glass cleaning?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM
jeffflsti
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer glass cleaning?

is there a way to remove the glass to clean it from moisture marks. It looks like a wet dirty rag was swabbed in it and looks horible. Id hate to have to replace the speedo if I dont have too. 2006 flstci

Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Petegn
6th Gear

In the same boat my friend!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Notorious688
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate that!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There have been numerous posts on this issue... the bottom line is that you can clean the glass by carefully working the back of the speedo apart (a paint can opener works best) and carefully pulling the pieces apart. After cleaning I recommend air drying everything and then after reassembly crimping the back edge that you pried apart and sealing it with silicone... if you ride in open weather allot you will be glad that you sealed it.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

The back of the glass has been sprayed with oil to prevent condensation build up. That's what makes it look like it has been wiped with a dirty rag.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
jed1069
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rakthi
The back of the glass has been sprayed with oil to prevent condensation build up. That's what makes it look like it has been wiped with a dirty rag.

Nice to know that. I have a big drip/run that runs from the top to the bottom right down the middle of it. Gotta love quality control.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:52 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pissed about my HD tach that I installed. Now both the speedo and tach have that problem. Plus, the tach seems be be plastic. For some reason I had some kind of film build up on the face. I used a single edged raxor blade on it carefully to remove the film. Now that face is surfaced scratched, not knowing that it's actually plastic. sometimes HD has **** for products for the $$ you spend. Never have a problem with the speedo face at all.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Great Gazoo
Tourer

Same here. Almost looks like dried water runs on the inside. I hate to tamper with the speedo but its gonna bother me until I do...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Striker951
Cruiser

Originally Posted by handyhoward
There have been numerous posts on this issue... the bottom line is that you can clean the glass by carefully working the back of the speedo apart (a paint can opener works best) and carefully pulling the pieces apart. After cleaning I recommend air drying everything and then after reassembly crimping the back edge that you pried apart and sealing it with silicone... if you ride in open weather allot you will be glad that you sealed it.
Has anyone really ever tried this? I would really like to get the spots out of mine.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker951
Has anyone really ever tried this? I would really like to get the spots out of mine.
Now why would I tell you a way to do this if I hadn't already done it myself? It worked for me... might work for you if you can get past the paranoia.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: speedometer glass cleaning?