Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Idle Issues

Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default '07 Idle Issues

I'm starting a new thread on this topic because I think it deserves one. Over the past few months I've emailed probably 20-30 PDF copies of HD's TT410 that addresses idle issues on '07 bikes, and new problems and requests pop up nearly every day. This tech tip bulletin covers low-idle problems, but I'm having a sporadic high idle issue.

In my case the bike will occasionally--maybe once every couple of weeks in winter, less-often in summer--start-up idling at around 2000 rpms. This started late last summer. No amount of throttle blipping will make it idle down to its usual 950 rpms, and if I don't stop the bike it will stay idling at that level until I turn it off. Usually I can turn it off at the handlebar switch, then off at the ignition switch, and when restarted will usually idle normally for the rest of the day and probably for quite a few days thereafter. For me it is more of an irritation than a real problem.

OTOH I have had a very few cases (maybe 3-4 over the last year) of poor idle that causes it to idle low and roughly, usually for only a short time that clears up on its own. It's never died during one of these rare spells, though. A tech at the local HD shop that I respect has an '07 and said he fixed his problems by replacing the IAC valve on the throttle body. I tried spraying some carb cleaner and lubricant into the IAC orifice just inside the throttle body and that seemed to help for a short time. A second application didn't seem to help, so I'm not sure my particular problem involves a sticky IAC valve. If I thought it was I'd swap it out in a second. If this was the culprit I would think blipping the throttle and/or just riding the bike would shake it loose, but it doesn't.

Someone on one of these threads mentioned that a download existed from HD that helped with these idling problems, but I haven't been able to verify this. Dawg? Hogdoc? Have you or any of our other resident techs ever heard of this?

Anyway, maybe by starting a specific thread on this issue we'll make some headway in finding out how to fix these problems, as it is affecting many '07 owners.

Anyone commenting on this topic please mention whether it is low- or high-idle, what you've tried to fix it, and if anything has worked.

Last edited by iclick; 06-14-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, I've been having this idle problem and it's getting to be more of a problem for a few months now. If I'm cruising and coming to a stop (from 20 mph on down) with the clutch pulled in, the idle would drop to 750 or so with oil pressure dropping, voltage dropping to 12 volts or lower until the bike comes to a complete stop. I can pretty much tell when the bike will start to act up because I notice more decel popping in the exhaust almost like the ECM has lost the TPS settings. After the bike rolls to a complete stop, the idle returns to normal. I have replaced the TPS and thought for a time (just a couple of days) that it was resolved. Nope, same symptoms. Iclick, you can email the bulletin to me at mongomark@aol.com

Old 06-14-2010, 10:37 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I'm wondering if the low-idle problem so many are describing really involves a loose and poorly adjusted idle screw as described in the TT410. If it was I would think they would idle bad all the time, not just occasionally like Mongomark describes.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does it very intermittently. I've noticed it seems to happen, more prominently anyways, after high speed driving for lengths of time (65 +).
I definitely would like to find the culprit....

Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Scorpion07, are you having low- or high-idle problems?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Iclick,

Have you changed your IAC stepper motor? We've changed a bunch of them when the 96's came out (07's)

Old 06-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The technical service bulletin TT410 is available here
http://www.box.net/shared/80iujqpj5p

and for a list of other service bulletins
http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....c,11130.0.html

Old 06-14-2010, 01:02 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Iclick, did you cycle the IAC on and off when you sprayed the cleaner in it? If not, try it again.

Last edited by nvsteve; 06-14-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

iclick, low idle only.
What is an IAC? Just the name - I can figure it out from there. Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Never mind - figured it out reading the service bulletin. Duh!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '07 Idle Issues