Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic VS Goldwing

Old 08-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic VS Goldwing

A few weeks ago I posted a message saying I was going to get a 2007 Ultra Classic. Having NOT ridden in 25 years I did what I thought was sensible and took an ABATE course, passed and got my endorsement. I even talked my wife (who had never ridden before) into taking the class with me. She also passed and even beat me on the riding evaluation portion. The instructors both had Goldwings but I thought I really wanted a Harley.

I went to my local Harley dealer and test road a 2007 UC on the demo program and came back scared of that big son of a gun. A couple of days later I mustered up the courage to try again. Things went a little better and the next day I even took my wife for a 1.5 Hr. ride. I felt more comfortable about the UC and kind of proud of myself.

Anyway like most of us I started listening to some of my friends suggestions to ride a Goldwing. Mind you that these friends didn't have even a motorcycle but after all they "had heard a lot of people say the Honda was Faster and Smoother
riding". I felt a little intimidated by them for after all they had heard how good the Honda was.

I felt I owed to myself to try one out since I was going to spend 20+ grand for this recent bout with the "Middle Age Crazies". I called two big name Honda dealers in my area and was told to just bring my check book and how much better I was going to like the Honda. Of by the way they would not let me test drive one. I went to another dealer and he said if I paid him in full for the bike and had insurance I could return it to him after a short ride if I wanted to and he would refund my money. Anyway third fourth dealer finnally let me ride a Goldwing. Yes it was faster, I really didn't think it rode any better though. The saddlebags seem very flimsy compared the the UC. But I did discover what is meant by Harley enthusiast saying "It's a Harley, it's a feeling it's, something in your soul".

There is no mistaking that feel you get when you start one, hear one and ride one. Now that I am back on track, my Ultra Classic will be here in September. There is really nothing like it. To the owners of other bikes you just wouldn't understand.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:42 PM
skater69
Cruiser
Default RE: Ultra Classic VS Goldwing

I had an '04 GoldWing that I put A LOT of miles on. I've never been able to test ride a Wing (you can rent them here in So Cal) but I've never been able to test ride a Harley either......but I've rented them as well.

Wing and the HD baggers are totally different experiences. Some guys like a quiet, no drama, smooth sewing machine seamless ride........so a Wing is a good fit. I found the bike to be extremely low maintenance, good power and handling and I loved the ease of the saddle bags personally....they never gave me any problems. And it's more comfortable than any HD bagger IMO. The suspension on the Wing I think is not as plush as the HD either. But the Wing didn't stir me up emotionally.....and bikes for me should. It's just too refined in some ways for me.....rides more like a car. So I sold it after 34K miles.

Rented a Road Glide and got pulled in. I don't own one yet but that's what I'm going to end up on when the finances are straight.
Good luck with your Ultra and ride safe.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:45 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honda goldwings are fine if you want to be someone who blends in with the woodwork. They are good transportation, but they never have and never will have a soul like harley does.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:47 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER, NOT TO MENTION RESALE VALUE.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:59 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

ditto;

and i own both

weet

Old 08-19-2006, 02:21 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You made a wise choice Nellybell, you won't be sorry. Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Beavis
Cruiser

Four dealers before you could test ride one, I just don't understand it. Here you are, ready to drop $20,000 and they expect you to do it without a test ride.

I've owned both bikes and they are both GREAT, so put a smile on and ride safe.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Goldwing for 2 years. I thought at the time I was buying the best touring bike made. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. But there were a few things I didn't like. I could not see a nice chrome engine, coverin plastic. The fairing didn't turn with the handle bars. There were no floorboards, just small pegs. It was top heavy. Seat was to high. Frame had to be rewelded. Had an overheating problem. Lots of buffetting on the highway, especially behind a big truck. All the accessories were abs plastic, only thing metal was engine,frame, handlebars and wheels. At 4000 miles the tires were cupping. Had a wobble in the front end at low speed. Because of it being top heavy, it was hard to handle at low speeds.

I liked the power. The stereo was pretty good. Seat was comfortable. Lots of room in the trunk and saddlebags. Great in curves. Quiet. Wasn't hot to ride on a hot day.

Now I have an 06 Ultra Classic........I love it. No complaints at all. And I bought it from a really good dealer also.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Geezer Glide Thunder
Advanced

Congratulations and ride safe, in the wind. The family that comes with the ownership of a harley and the "feel" of the bike in itself, it does touch your soul...

May you and your wife always ride safe and free...in the wind.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:43 PM
SwaMan
Advanced

I've warned folks before about that "thing" they build into Harley seats........the minute you sit on one, something crawls right up your @ss, grabs you by the heart and refuses to let go!
Good luck with your new ride!
Swa

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultra Classic VS Goldwing