Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Module Problems!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
MelendezA32
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Module Problems!!!?

Hey everyone, Im new to the site and Harleys. Just got my first bike. A 03 Sportster 883. I love it. THe weekend I bought it I rode about 300 miles.... not a single problem. Then it started to backfire every once in a while, then after it would heat up it would die. At first I thought it was bad gas (or being out of gas)... then after talking to a few people and searchin here on the forum I heard about the ignition module problems that cause this exact issue. I was wondering a few things....

First, where can I find a replacement ignition module? I heard from my mechanic that they are about $100. I looked on J&P cycles and only found ones that are more expensive and single/dual fire, programmable, etc....

Second, how hard is it to replace? Ive heard that it is very simple...

Thanks in advance everyone. I been grinding my teeth every day while my bike sits and doesnt get used.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

Try to replace the relay before spending big bucks on the ign mod.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 AM
1970FL
Novice

Take the ignition cover off, then look on the module for a small led. turn on key and see if the led lights up red. If no light then try to start the engine, the led should flash, if it's not flashing then module could be bad or there could be a problem with the Bank Angle sensor or a bad connection in the wiring harness.

Worked on a buddys 01 after he had negative battery cable problems, turned out it had used the ground for the ign module when the main cable went bad. Had to run a new ground wire to it to get it to run.

You can find modules on ebay for less $$ than the stealer, I got a 02 SE module for a 1200C for 40$ a couple months ago.

It's simple to replace, unplug connection, identify which color wire goes in which hole in the connector and remove all of them. Replace module then put the wires back where they belong in the connector. Set the timing of the module as the service manual says and you should be up and running.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Traffanstead
2nd Gear
Default Same issues 03 sportster 1200

Tom working on a 03 1200 sportster i trun the key on and the red lighr is off i pist the sart button and it flashes then after doing it a bit it stays on whatncould that be. I also have the problem of it not starting up just acts like it wants too and backfires the bike just wont start help

Old 11-29-2015, 09:17 AM
melissamalzahn@gmail.com
Stage IV

My 01 Sportster 883 ignition module flashes when we turn the key on. So it's still good? We've replaced the coil, voltage regulator and ignition relay switch. We don't know what else to do. Don't want to buy an ignition module if not needed? Anyone know what we can check, we have a black wire that's not connected to anything off the coil has nowhere to go, or we can't find where it should go. Can't find specs for it.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Stenchmonger
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Download a service manual and trouble shoot via chapter two.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:52 PM
Mike Pyles
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 02 ignition module. Could you give me the part number? Im having a hard time finding the correct module for my 02 xl1200c. Thanks

Originally Posted by 1970FL
Take the ignition cover off, then look on the module for a small led. turn on key and see if the led lights up red. If no light then try to start the engine, the led should flash, if it's not flashing then module could be bad or there could be a problem with the Bank Angle sensor or a bad connection in the wiring harness.

Worked on a buddys 01 after he had negative battery cable problems, turned out it had used the ground for the ign module when the main cable went bad. Had to run a new ground wire to it to get it to run.

You can find modules on ebay for less $$ than the stealer, I got a 02 SE module for a 1200C for 40$ a couple months ago.

It's simple to replace, unplug connection, identify which color wire goes in which hole in the connector and remove all of them. Replace module then put the wires back where they belong in the connector. Set the timing of the module as the service manual says and you should be up and running.
Could you supply me with the correct module part number for my 02 xl 1200c?.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:38 PM
Hankthetank
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MelendezA32
Hey everyone, Im new to the site and Harleys. Just got my first bike. A 03 Sportster 883. I love it. THe weekend I bought it I rode about 300 miles.... not a single problem. Then it started to backfire every once in a while, then after it would heat up it would die. At first I thought it was bad gas (or being out of gas)... then after talking to a few people and searchin here on the forum I heard about the ignition module problems that cause this exact issue. I was wondering a few things....

First, where can I find a replacement ignition module? I heard from my mechanic that they are about $100. I looked on J&P cycles and only found ones that are more expensive and single/dual fire, programmable, etc....

Second, how hard is it to replace? Ive heard that it is very simple...

Thanks in advance everyone. I been grinding my teeth every day while my bike sits and doesnt get used.
correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that year has the adjustable nose cone. Held in by two bolts behind that circle cover on your cam cover, which with the position of it you control your spark timing by. Make sure that it’s on its mark and nothing came loose making it too advanced or retarded. I would do that before I replaced the ignition. I’ve heard ignition modules are affected by heat though. I would also make sure you don’t have a vacuum leak from anywhere. I would imagine at first it could grow as it gets warmer causing it to die and backfire from overly lean conditions, dual fire bikes will backfire through the intake if it’s too lean because the rear plug sparks when the intake valve is opening. Lastly I would look into the carb inlet and make sure the accelerator pump works and the slide lifts when you blow air into that top slot. I would imagine it would at least start though if those didn’t work.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:49 PM
Mike Pyles
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hankthetank
correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that year has the adjustable nose cone. Held in by two bolts behind that circle cover on your cam cover, which with the position of it you control your spark timing by. Make sure that it’s on its mark and nothing came loose making it too advanced or retarded. I would do that before I replaced the ignition. I’ve heard ignition modules are affected by heat though. I would also make sure you don’t have a vacuum leak from anywhere. I would imagine at first it could grow as it gets warmer causing it to die and backfire from overly lean conditions, dual fire bikes will backfire through the intake if it’s too lean because the rear plug sparks when the intake valve is opening. Lastly I would look into the carb inlet and make sure the accelerator pump works and the slide lifts when you blow air into that top slot. I would imagine it would at least start though if those didn’t work.
bad. It starts up fine but one it gets so hot it dies while riding and or when you've rode for a bit and stop it won't start till it cools down. I've taken multiple meter on a rode and checked coil when it finally quit. It said 2.9-3.0ohms. It cools down fires right up. Now I've also taken ice and cooled it down when it did this again. It fired right up with in 20 min 20-30 it's running . carve seems to be working fine. No codes. Coughs through the carb it seems but not really any back firing yet.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Hankthetank
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Pyles
bad. It starts up fine but one it gets so hot it dies while riding and or when you've rode for a bit and stop it won't start till it cools down. I've taken multiple meter on a rode and checked coil when it finally quit. It said 2.9-3.0ohms. It cools down fires right up. Now I've also taken ice and cooled it down when it did this again. It fired right up with in 20 min 20-30 it's running . carve seems to be working fine. No codes. Coughs through the carb it seems but not really any back firing yet.
it could be the ignition module, try hitting it with a heat gun and seeing if it starts while engines cold. I think mines different, but I do have a 2005 ignition module laying on the shelf that I can’t use anymore If anyone reading needs it.

The following users liked this post:
Mike Pyles (08-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Ignition Module Problems!!!?