Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What color is your brake fluid? Is DOT 5 always purple?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 AM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What color is your brake fluid? Is DOT 5 always purple?

I went ahead and changed my brakes this weekend, short of 1 small cut it was a painless ordeal. Here is where it may have gone really bad. I have an 03 that uses DOT 5, i picked up some at the HD dealer because I was a bit low. It poured in just fine, no spills and was a nice purplish color. As the breaks were a bit spongy I bled them, and some light brown stuff came out. Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned? or just keep riding..

Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

DOT 5 starts out purple and changes color over time. If it is coming out brown, I would flush it all the way through until you see purple. In a few weeks I have found mine turns yellowish.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain

Sweet, that is good to know, i was concerned that the previous owner had used the wrong version. I will flush it this weekend.. Thanks for the assistance.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Brown fluid suggests it hasn't been changed in a long time! Not good, so flushing through is the right thing to do. I would suggest after flushing that you ride it a while and flush again, just in case there is any of that brown muck hiding in there. Best to get it all out. At the end of the riding season consider stripping and cleaning the master cylinders to make sure there is no corrosion inside.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the posters before, I would flush it. I flush my brake system every year.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:58 AM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tlb
I agree with the posters before, I would flush it. I flush my brake system every year.
Yearly? I guess when you think about safety on 2 wheels, and the nominal cost it's probably worth it.

The bike itself is an 03 with 12k miles, my assumption is that no maintenance has been done on it ever, i bet this is the fluid it came with. Its time to start tightening things down and going over it with a fine tooth'ed comb i guess.

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated..

Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The brake fluid should be changed every two years, according to my manual. I do it annually because it is relatively easy and low cost. I also change all of my fluid annually because for 20 dollars, I am already dirty, bike is already up in the air, tools are out and dirty, and it is easy.
I just do not like having a problem, that could of been prevented with 5 minutes of my time.

Originally Posted by VirtualNorm
Yearly? I guess when you think about safety on 2 wheels, and the nominal cost it's probably worth it.

The bike itself is an 03 with 12k miles, my assumption is that no maintenance has been done on it ever, i bet this is the fluid it came with. Its time to start tightening things down and going over it with a fine tooth'ed comb i guess.

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated..

Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
mikedsilva
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but the same happened to me. My 05 Sportster specifies dot 5, and according to the receipts the owner gave me, he also used dot 5.
So I bought some, thinking I could bleed the spongy brakes...
I sucked out all the original browny gold fluid, and when I poured in the new stuff and it was purple, I had a mini heart attack. I did flush a fair bit through the system, so it should be fine.

Also, I spent 5 minutes watching tlb's avatar above.....