General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission bearing failure

Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission bearing failure

Okay i'm sure there are many of u in same boat as I. There is big problem with HD main shaft bearing on 07, 08, possibly 09. the mainshaft bearing #8967 ball bearing the rollers just comes apart and take out inner race spreading fragments into the case housing, in turn destroying all other bearings. I have managed to get all new bearings from HD, exception #8967 mainshaft bearing, which is on back order. I have searched dealers from Toronto to Vancouver, Seattle to LA. No frickin #8967 mainshaft bearing. "huge back order". That alone speaks volumes. My bike is off warranty. this failure can happen from 15.000 miles to my bike 25.000 miles. Thankfully i can do RE/RE myself. whether u have your bike on warranty or not, please add yur name or any information to this thread. transmission failure on models 2007,2008 or 2009 6 speeds. my bike has been off the road now one month still waiting for #8967 part. bummmer.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh? Can you give more specific data? The item you reference does not fail frequently and more info will help.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced

i will send u pictures of bearing in question later tomorrow.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least on a HD the trans is not integrated with engine (well, big twins) so you don't have to dismantle the engine cases.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced

well this transmission is used on dyna and soft tails. total bummmer good weather i'm not riding. for one bearing harley has no stock on.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts

Try a commercial Industrial bearing supply house take the inner & outer races to them for measurements , I,ve had about 90% success with crossovers for harley and British bikes through the years .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-09-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The mainshaft bearing, commonly known as the inner primary bearing, is not on back order, so dont feed me the line that it is.
If youre really all that concerned about it, put a sealed Baker bearing in and quit complaining. Not everyone has the problem so get your facts straight.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 PM
happyhooligan
Advanced

I have an odd noise that I thought was belt noise. Its kind of funny because the noise doesn't exist when it is cool and becomes more noticeable as it gets warmer. I've got just over 16K and warranty ended July 15, p1ss me off. Now I suspect its the tranny. Stealer changed the wheel bearings, front and rear already.Anybody know if there are any other chinese POS bearings on these American made bikes!!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 PM
bloodfarts
Novice

Originally Posted by kk6pg
The mainshaft bearing, commonly known as the inner primary bearing, is not on back order, so dont feed me the line that it is.
If youre really all that concerned about it, put a sealed Baker bearing in and quit complaining. Not everyone has the problem so get your facts straight.
He might be talking about the main drive gear bearing inside the trans housing. I dont remember the part numbers anymore. Ive seen a few go bad in the last few years. You can usually tell when you drain the trans you will see like chrome or silver looking flakes coming out with the fluid or they will be stuck on the magnet. When they are just starting to go bad and you look at the bearing it looks like a coating is coming off. It will look like dull spots on the race part of the bearing not the *****, sometimes you can lift up a flake with a pick tool. Never noticed a noise, seems like it would when it got bad enough. I always got these early by watching the fluid drain.

The bearing and race you are talking about Ive seen many more go bad all on 06 and later dynas and one on a st. When these go bad they make alot of weird noises

Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My transmission mainshaft bearing failed at 24,000 miles on my 2010 Ultra Limited. They replaced most of my transmission. I sure am glad it's under warranty!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission bearing failure