Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypercharger vs Heavy Breather

Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 PM
saenzraf
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Hypercharger vs Heavy Breather

I have a 2008 Fat Bob with V&H pipes and a hypercharger. The bike sounds great and it runs great too (even after a recent oil leak). I was thinking about installing a Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather simply for looks, but I love the performance now. Does anyone have any experience or opinions regarding switching out a hypercharger for a heavy breather primarily for looks? Is performance affectedthat much? I've read and understand the statistics between the two, but come on....the Heavy Breather just looks great. Still, I am not willing to sacrifice performance. Thanks for your time.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Jarhead08
Tourer

I don't think it would be much difference in performance strictly from bolting it on vs what you have now, carbs and throttle bodies can only suck in so much air at a time. Tuning it for that specific setup will determine your power. Changing your air to fuel mix is always going to change your performance somewhat, I'd say it wont be enuff to tell unless dyno'd. On another note I do know if I take my round cover off to show the big sucker filter and run the bike it really affects how the bike runs at idle. More air causes it to cough and sputter but adding the round cover on it makes it run right.

Last edited by Jarhead08; 08-18-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was steered away from the hyper-charger by my dealer, the reason being that "they" said some of the people (not all) lost power with the hyper-charger over the K&N heavy breather, and that the hyper-charger needed X amount of vacuum just to operator the butterfly. I dunno if any of this is true, I took the safe way out.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard from pretty reliable sources that the hypercharger, although gaudy and stupid looking, perform like **** as well.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

A Hypercharger will make you the coolest dude in the trailer park, though.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 PM
saenzraf
Stage IV
Default And the winner is....

Thanks for the feedback. Heavy breather it is!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant go wrong with the Heavy Breather. seems like everbody notice's it and has some questions about.

Attached Thumbnails Hypercharger vs Heavy Breather-hvbrt.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead08
I don't think it would be much difference in performance strictly from bolting it on vs what you have now, carbs and throttle bodies can only suck in so much air at a time. Tuning it for that specific setup will determine your power. Changing your air to fuel mix is always going to change your performance somewhat, I'd say it wont be enuff to tell unless dyno'd. On another note I do know if I take my round cover off to show the big sucker filter and run the bike it really affects how the bike runs at idle. More air causes it to cough and sputter but adding the round cover on it makes it run right.
Hey jarhead....... I just noticed the pipes on your street bob; they look great. Funny thing is those pipes are one of the things I absolutely hate about the fatbob but for some reason they look killer on your SB...... nicely done.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:13 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

H-B....coolness factor alone.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
I've heard from pretty reliable sources that the hypercharger, although gaudy and stupid looking, perform like **** as well.
Ha! Well done...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hypercharger vs Heavy Breather