Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you adjust the passing lamps??????

Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How do you adjust the passing lamps??????

Hi all of you Heritage riders. I have the manual but darn if I can figure out how to adjust the passing lamps. They just either flop around when I move them or go right back like they where. I tried pulling on them to no avail, Then one of them just got real lose now i cannot get it tight or aiming in the right direction.

Help please?

Last edited by campdreamer47; 08-22-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the attached picture.
Here is the break down of the lamps, yours is the bottom assembly.
Part # 9 is the locknut and it looks like you go thru the turn signal to get to it.

Attached Thumbnails How do you adjust the passing lamps??????-passing-lamp.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a tool that I keep with me at all times. My fist. It's stayed in place now for over three years.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Wink I think I got it.

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
Check out the attached picture.
Here is the break down of the lamps, yours is the bottom assembly.
Part # 9 is the locknut and it looks like you go thru the turn signal to get to it.
You know I have the manual and I looked at that picture and I could not make since off it but I believe I got it now. Funny how someone else can just point out what you may have been looking at all the time but not seeing.

So first you have to take the single light off correct?? Kinda of a strange set up there thought what?

Thank you so much.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:15 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Default Did that.

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
I used a tool that I keep with me at all times. My fist. It's stayed in place now for over three years.
Using my fist is what got me into this lose light in the first place....guess I hit it to many times lol.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not 100% sure, but its so simple to remove the turn signal I would do that and look. Its got to be inside the passing light housing or under the turn signal the nut. I hope its not stripped out or the bolt not broken, and I hope its just as simple as tighten a nut. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:20 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Angry More complicated.

I took the single light off...no trouble. But I cannot for the life of me get at that lock nut and adjust and hold the drive light at the same time to get it into place. Called a local indy and he told me this is not an easy job at all and you should have a special wrench to reach up and hold the lock nut. Bottom line I am taking it to him to do.

I do not want to mess this up even more. Some things are better left to others I guess.
Thanks for your help. Thought I would get more input though.

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
Not 100% sure, but its so simple to remove the turn signal I would do that and look. Its got to be inside the passing light housing or under the turn signal the nut. I hope its not stripped out or the bolt not broken, and I hope its just as simple as tighten a nut. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by campdreamer47; 08-25-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passing lamps

One word of caution, if you adjust the lamps too much vertical you won't be able to remove the windshield. That's why they are somewhat pointed down. Of course if never plan to remove the windshield then it is not an issue. Ask me how I know this!!! LOL

Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to take the turn signal light off to get to the nut. Since the nut has a wire running through it you'll have to have a socket with a slotted side on it.

Snap-On sells the socket, a 9/16". The Snap-On guys know exactly what you need. NOT cheap either!

KISS

Last edited by Mal74; 08-26-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:29 PM
dub976
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mal74
You have to take the turn signal light off to get to the nut. Since the nut has a wire running through it you'll have to have a socket with a slotted side on it.

Snap-On sells the socket, a 9/16". The Snap-On guys know exactly what you need. NOT cheap either!

KISS
or you can go the cheap route and take a grinder to the side of a normal 9/16 socket. I went about 3/4 of the way down the socket and put a hose clamp on as high up as I could and still clear the wire.

if it still comes lose again then you might need a shim for it, or so I've been told by other members here. Like I think I do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you adjust the passing lamps??????