Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike shuts off while riding!!!! WTF?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
sc413
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bike shuts off while riding!!!! WTF?

My bike shut off suddenly twice yesterday. Once freeway other on surface streets. I pulled in clutch and it started back up without issues. I recall this happened to me once a few times back, but I though I hit my ignition switch at the time. This time I am certain I didn't hit the switch unintentionally.

What gives? Any thoughts?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with checking your battery cables and ensure they are tight. Common issue.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did the same thing (Dyna) but wouldn't start up by just pulling in the clutch. Mine was caused by the Run Turn Brake light kit, that I believed to create a shut down mode because of the Security system.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the battery cables, I checked the ones on my nightster last week and the battery terminals were loose. Luckily I had no issues.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

I've had problems with my 2007 Nightster since it was new. Seems water runs down the wiring harness and eventually corrodes the fuse/relay block connections. I pull all my fuses and relays at least every other month to check them. After cleaning the bayonet contacts on the fuses and relays, shoot some dielectric grease into the sockets on the fuse/relay block. That keeps the water out for a longer time. I've had to replace the Run relay about every 6 months or so. They're a common relay and any auto parts store carries them.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM
6sick6
Advanced
Default Do you have a FOB on your keychain?

My battery was dying (in the FOB) a few days ago... It would flash the lights like the fob was out of range with the key in her. Sputter and try to die while riding... I replaced the battery, bike is good as new.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 PM
no_barcode
Advanced

My Iron had lost power for a few seconds while on the highway a couple of weeks ago. Speedo suddenly dropped, engine lost power, etc.

Turned out to be a loose ground connector (on the side that connects to the frame)

Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 PM
sooie
Tourer

im having the same prob. with the wifes 883 (03) you guys are saying check the grounds and or battery ? i put a new coil and new plugs and still same thing. Had to trailer the bike home last sunday and this sunday samething but made it home (we stayed close to home) so now i have the bike up on the table and was taking the nose cone off the replace the pickup. But now after reading this i dunno !! HELP dont want to throw money at it and not fix it

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sooie
im having the same prob. with the wifes 883 (03) you guys are saying check the grounds and or battery ? i put a new coil and new plugs and still same thing. Had to trailer the bike home last sunday and this sunday samething but made it home (we stayed close to home) so now i have the bike up on the table and was taking the nose cone off the replace the pickup. But now after reading this i dunno !! HELP dont want to throw money at it and not fix it
Don't spend the money till you check the ground.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 AM
shiftharder
Road Master

Originally Posted by pococj
I've had problems with my 2007 Nightster since it was new. Seems water runs down the wiring harness and eventually corrodes the fuse/relay block connections. I pull all my fuses and relays at least every other month to check them. After cleaning the bayonet contacts on the fuses and relays, shoot some dielectric grease into the sockets on the fuse/relay block. That keeps the water out for a longer time. I've had to replace the Run relay about every 6 months or so. They're a common relay and any auto parts store carries them.
This exact thing happened to me on 2 occasions - I now carry a spare relay in my tool box - condensation/water rusts out the pins on the relay - this is a common problem on Sportys.

In my case the scoot would`nt start and had it towed twice - thank god for HOG insurance policy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike shuts off while riding!!!! WTF?