General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing shield on HJC full face

Old 09-07-2010, 06:52 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing shield on HJC full face

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the world's biggest idiot or if I'm a victim of not following the admonition "You get what you pay for". I bought an HJC CL-MAX flip up helmet along with a replacement dark smoke shield. I've read how easy it is to change the shields on HJCs, but I'll be damned if I can do it without a lot of swearing. Ended up breaking one of the base plates so I had to order a replacement. Is the "ease" of changing the shields just hype or am I really this dense?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had an HJC full face that was a pain in the *** to change shields on, ended up selling it on ebay

Old 09-07-2010, 07:18 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Hjc

I have a HJC modular that I took to a HJC dealer to have the shield changed..Even they had a hard time changing it out. Take it to a dealer.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
rhinotheking
Cruiser

HJC are good helmets for the price but they do have some deficiencies. If you want top quality, go with Shoei. They tend to have a similar shape as the HJC(IMO). They are high quality but you pay for it. The cheaper helmets have that "tin can" sound to them that you won't get with a Shoei or Arai.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

How do you guys manage to work your throttle, clutch and brakes but you can't change a face shield?

My wife & I both have HJC's. I pop my shields on and off all the time - tinted during the day, clear at night. My wife changes hers all the time as well. Maybe your model has some weird system that requires 4 hands and 16 steps. On ours, you open the shield, push the slid back on one side (pop), push the slide back on the other side (pop). Line the new shield up on one side, push it down, repeat on the other side. I'll bet it takes me all of 15 seconds sometimes.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:17 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

I think I found the answer. After watching a couple of videos on YouTube, I think one of my base plates may have been defective. The right side would not release the shield when the slide was pushed. There was no "pop" as you described it. Hopefully the new base plates will solve the problem.

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
How do you guys manage to work your throttle, clutch and brakes but you can't change a face shield?

My wife & I both have HJC's. I pop my shields on and off all the time - tinted during the day, clear at night. My wife changes hers all the time as well. Maybe your model has some weird system that requires 4 hands and 16 steps. On ours, you open the shield, push the slid back on one side (pop), push the slide back on the other side (pop). Line the new shield up on one side, push it down, repeat on the other side. I'll bet it takes me all of 15 seconds sometimes.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

A little soap on a Q tip makes all that mechinism work good

Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

Thanks, DPete -- I'm gonna give that a try when my new base plates come in.

'preciate it!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:59 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 I have an HJC ... can change the external and internal visor in 30 seconds

Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

+1
Once you've done it successfully, you'll laugh at how easy it is. IMPORTANT: Make sure you are lining up the molded-in arrows on the shield and the base plate, that might be your problem. If there is one flaw with this system, it's that the arrows are hard to see in dim light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing shield on HJC full face