Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Upgrade

Old 09-19-2010, 05:31 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Engine Upgrade

Hi guys

Hey I was just wondering what mods and improvements you have done to your engines on the 2009 Night Train, or any model for that matter. I am looking at upgrading my cams, what else will I need to change, what are the best brands around and I am looking at getting a bit better speed performance.

Thanks folks

Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 AM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the search option. Cams, big bore kits, heads, exhaust , fuel management & a/c.
loads of info.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by mike06train
Use the search option. Cams, big bore kits, heads, exhaust , fuel management & a/c.
loads of info.
Thanks man..will do.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Cams...there are so many choices. I run a mild S/E 203 cam. When replacing the cams also replace the inner cam bearings and the cam bearings in the cam plate. Torringtons are the best.

For the engine there are numerous choices as well. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend. On my 2002 I did the cams last year and the big bore this year. When you do the engine you can do just pistons and cylinders, or you can do heads as well. I just did the cylinders and pistons for now. I'll get to the heads later if I feel they are necessary.

Swapping your cams and upping displacement will definitely give you a nice boost. If you are seeking more power a good 2 into 1 will also add to the available power and torque.

Drew

Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Cams...there are so many choices. I run a mild S/E 203 cam. When replacing the cams also replace the inner cam bearings and the cam bearings in the cam plate. Torringtons are the best.

For the engine there are numerous choices as well. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend. On my 2002 I did the cams last year and the big bore this year. When you do the engine you can do just pistons and cylinders, or you can do heads as well. I just did the cylinders and pistons for now. I'll get to the heads later if I feel they are necessary.

Swapping your cams and upping displacement will definitely give you a nice boost. If you are seeking more power a good 2 into 1 will also add to the available power and torque.

Drew
Thanks Drew, good info mate, at the moment I am only looking at doing the cams, I have the Kuryakyn Hypercharger air filter and the V&H big radius, I also have a power comander. How do you think that will go with a cam change??

Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Power commander is fine for that setup. Get another air filter as the Hyper charger is known to rob power.

Drew

Old 09-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer

Power commander is fine for that setup. Get another air filter as the Hyper charger is known to rob power.

Drew
Thanks mate, I actually didn't know that about the Hyper Charger.. so it's robbing power now is it and what would you recommend as the best one around??

Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Big sucker, RSD, whatever as long as it is not a Hypercharger. Any round open filter will flow better.

Drew

Old 09-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer

Big sucker, RSD, whatever as long as it is not a Hypercharger. Any round open filter will flow better.

Drew
Cheers mate.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 AM
billiamharley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you put in the cams, get it dyno tuned to take advantage of your power commander. Do be careful with how much cam you get - watch the intake durations. Too much intake duration will rob low-mid range rpm power and decrease gas mileage. Look online at HD's screamin eagle/pro racing parts catalog - lots of great hop-up info in there. Do look at the different cams they offer there with the specs so you get an idea of what should work for YOUR application.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Upgrade