EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1998 EVO FLH- To Buy or Not to Buy

Old 10-09-2010, 11:36 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 EVO FLH- To Buy or Not to Buy

Looking at a beauty of a FLHTCI , it has 27K Miles Nice Green/Black and seems as if it was BABIED it,s life away. Guy wants $9K for it? Needs nothing and it has not seen a dealership service department for awhile? I can put some more dollars together and get a RK 2002 - 2008 but I do like this bike. If you had the choice would you go newer or stay with this Baby ? I ride about 5K miles a year but do go cross country and do not like getting stuck , I know about the MM F.I. and if it happens with problems with it I would put money into it to change it to a Delphi system . This Bike is NEW Looking !!! What should I do, I am Dazed and Confused For So Long it's Not True !!
Thanks ahead of time

Last edited by legendzzz; 10-09-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,626 Likes on 842 Posts

First of all, you know what answer you are going to get from this section, "it's the Evo section"
A low mileage Evo is just as reliable as the new bikes and the 1998 has the bugs worked out of it. Nothing wrong with the MM efi in it's stock form, a common failure is the temp sensor. If things go bad, the carb conversion isn't a bad choice and I work on injection management systems for a living but the carb conversion works out well (I can't believe I am saying this)
I personally feel that the Evo has "soul" and something that can't be bolted on, I've worked on some TC baggers (simple MM efi problems) and just missing something I can't explain. The 2002 and up have better electronics/efi. balanced engine but everything else is the same and nice bikes also, going to be a personal choice for you but I think $9000 is a little steep, if you are going to regret buying it than it is a no-brainer. Decisions, decisons, decisons.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would buy it, look at his records/receipts first.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

An Evo definately has more soul than a twin cam. A twin cam is a nice motor as well. A twin cam from H.D. with bolt in cams tends to turn more power than a cammed Evo (bolt in) at least in my experience. If you buy a twinkie,I would satrongly urge you to get gear driven cams for reliability. They are expensive,but I think well worth it.
I have owned a Road King as well as my current Electra. I would prefer a full dresser hands down for the type of riding I do over a Road King. (When I get in a full season, I put on 10-15K a year) Just my personal preference.
9K does sound a bit steep for the economy we are in. Seems to be a buyers market,especialy on Evos. Sounds like an 8K bike to me,but then again you need to decide for yourself if its a good buy. Maybe you can counter offer?
I would LOVE to own an Evo bagger-just need to convince the wife we need a fifth motorcycle in our family and I am good to go!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

You just want us to give you a warm feeling! Post pics when you get it home....

Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it, start @ $7,000 and if you have too settle in between, then it's a positive for both parties. You know what you want to spend and he wants to sell a bike, it's the art of haggling. Post Pic's when you get her home.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL He had it at $9500 and now I have it at $8500. I have bargained him down to that. But he feels he has a fair price will not come any further down? $1500 more I can get that 2002 RK w/3K miles ? They both are great bikes . The Evo guy feels he has 2 other people that want it and will ride on that they will buy it if I do not ? He may be right? BUT it is getting colder and less people are looking , this is a tough decision?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show him 8Gs and prepare to walk away if he says no, but don't walk too fast!

Old 10-10-2010, 03:14 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The evo will be less expensive to maintain and if to modify it, the motor, rims, custom stuff the evo is cheaper than the twinkie. The 02 is a good year out of the box but it will cost you more to maintain it, grear drive, rims etc. Front axel changed from 3/4 to 1", and you will have deal with gear drive situation eventually. Do what 96 said show him the $8 and see where it goes.
The fairing and evo motor alone will make you happy.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:19 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think in the long run you'll enjoy the FLH more than the Road King. They're both nice bikes, but once you get use to that tour pack, fairing, stereo, and all that storage space, you'll be spoiled. I know I am. $8,500 doesn't really sound out of line to me for a clean '98 FLH with low miles. Good luck on either bike. Post some pics.
KC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 EVO FLH- To Buy or Not to Buy