Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Are your V & H mufflers too loud?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:29 PM
texasridr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are your V & H mufflers too loud?

I just installed some Smartpartz baffles into my Vance and Hines Straightshot HS Slip-on mufflers on my Evo Dyna Wide Glide. I am very pleased. I can now hear the engine, wind, and other things, instead of my exhaust only. There are no more harsh or BLAT sounds, but there's also almost nothing left of what I call a "raw" Harley sound. The sound is good quality, but comparatively quiet.

If you want a sound that's louder than stock, but still need to preserve your hearing, quietly roll out of your garage in the early a.m., or just want to knock off a few sound db's from your current mufflers, I'd consider giving these a try. They're about $65.00 and you get 30 days to return them if not happy.

This is my preferred solution over the following that I have tried. All with stock head pipes and stock engine:

SE mufflers (both old and new) slash cut
V & H mufflers w/Quiet baffles
stock tapered mufflers
Krome Werks tapered mufflers (I don't recall the O.D.)

Old 10-10-2010, 07:56 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

glad I found this thread - have had my V&H straightshots with quiet baffles on for about 6 months, and I'm at the point where it just isn't fun after about 45 min's of highway cruising

did you notice any power loss? I like the way my full pipes looks (one piece heat shields and end right at the axle) but the sound is killing me

Old 10-11-2010, 02:34 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

I just traded in my 2002 Fatboy with V&H Bigshots for a RoadKing with V&H Monster Rounds. Great thing about the Bigshots was, I thought I had the quietest motor around cause the pipes were loud. With the Monster Rounds on the 103, the motor makes more noise than the pipes.
Still can't decide what I like better.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 PM
texasridr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
glad I found this thread - have had my V&H straightshots with quiet baffles on for about 6 months, and I'm at the point where it just isn't fun after about 45 min's of highway cruising

did you notice any power loss? I like the way my full pipes looks (one piece heat shields and end right at the axle) but the sound is killing me
.....I ride quite conservatively, so if there was any hp loss, I haven't noticed it. I ride in the lower range of rpms anyway... Even if there was some loss, perhaps I gained a little torque.... truth is that I don't really know, but my ears and head feel SO much better that it doesn't matter. I do like to spend long days in the saddle, and this really helps me do that.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 AM
billsantos
Cruiser

Good post.. I just ordered the V&H's with the QB's cause I wanted a little more than stock and i'm concerned they maybe to loud for my tastes, but i like the look also.. I'll keep those Smartpartz's in mind.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
texasridr
Cruiser

I have recently gone to Screamin Eagle mufflers (80db's) because the V & H mufflers with Smartparts still were tiring for my ears. When I first put these relatively quiet mufflers on, I was really disappointed. Before taking them off, I decided to give myself a few days just to make sure. It's been a few hundred miles now and I am SO keeping these! The sound is quiet at idle, but a cruising speed makes a mellow deep rumble that I can hear quite well. The torque "feels" much improved. There is some quality baffles inside these large OD mufflers, as opposed to the thin-walled, straight through cans of V & H (insert [quality baffle here... ). Some will say it's not a rumble at all, but in my head, it's just right. At a traffic light it's quiet, so I am trying to avoid lights. But my ride is now great and I can hear the engine and other things, instead of exhaust only.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 PM
billsantos
Cruiser

When you tried the Smartpartz baffles on the V&H's, did they have the standard baffle or the quiet baffle in them ? I'm gonna switch to the quiets even before installing the pipes just cause I know i won't like the sound of the standard V&H baffle..If still to loud for my tastes, I"ll stick the Smartpartz on with the quiet baffles and see what i get.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
texasridr
Cruiser

I had the standard baffle (no packing). I did not try them with the Quiet baffles. On a different Dyna Wide Glide a couple years ago, I had the Quiet baffles with the same mufflers and found them still to be too loud, after having the standard baffle; however, the Quiet baffle IS a much smoother sound than the standard baffle.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:02 PM
billsantos
Cruiser

Thanks, that's what I've read, about a smother and deeper sound. I'll Find out Monday. I'd know today if freaken UPS delivered on the weekends.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Stich88
Stage I

Has anybody tried packing the standard V&H Big Shots baffle?

Originally Posted by texasridr
I had the standard baffle (no packing). I did not try them with the Quiet baffles. On a different Dyna Wide Glide a couple years ago, I had the Quiet baffles with the same mufflers and found them still to be too loud, after having the standard baffle; however, the Quiet baffle IS a much smoother sound than the standard baffle.

:icon_nut: