Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of lean running??

Old 10-16-2010, 01:42 PM
mike56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signs of lean running??

Have a 2010 Street Glide, with 800 miles on it.
My first bike with fuel injection.
I had put a Rhinehart slip on it for some sound, and was waiting to put my Vance Hines breather kit on until I got it in for the 1000miler, and would have them re-map it.

Everyone at the dealer said it would take a pipe with no issues, but would be running too lean with both the pipe AND the free breather kit.

I put the air cleaner on today, and ran about 40 miles, 60 degrees. No spitting or sputtering, no popping on deacel. Just ran great. Very responsive throttle.

Do I NEED the remap? How do I know if it's running lean?

Thanks

Old 10-16-2010, 03:01 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mike56
I had put a Rhinehart slip on it for some sound, and was waiting to put my Vance Hines breather kit on until I got it in for the 1000miler, and would have them re-map it.

Everyone at the dealer said it would take a pipe with no issues, but would be running too lean with both the pipe AND the free breather kit.

I put the air cleaner on today, and ran about 40 miles, 60 degrees. No spitting or sputtering, no popping on deacel. Just ran great. Very responsive throttle.

Thanks
Hotter than usual motor and ping ping ping ping all the way home

Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...Do I NEED the remap?
Let's see, everyone at the dealership suggested one course of action but you decided to go another.

But hey, it's your bike, do as you see fit.

...How do I know if it's running lean?
Edges of valves beginning to melt or holes burning through the top of one or more pistons are pretty good indications.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:33 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Thanks
It's running lean already from the factory, & you made it worse.Get a fuel management system & have the bike dyno tuned.It's worth the money, & your bike will love you for it.If you don't,you run the risk of damaging your bike from lean conditions,overheating,& denation problems!! Do it right the first time & never worry about it again!!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:32 PM
toby34
Tourer

what he said........and don't be a !@#$.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Question is, do you plan to do more, like cams, big bore??? If stage 1 is as far as you plan to go, you don't need a Tuner. You can run it like it is and check your plugs to see if it's running too lean. I have a 2010 RK. It's stock except for stage 1
I don't plan on doing cams or anymore upgrades to the motor. I bought a set of FL-XIED's from Steve Mullen Ent. (niterider.com) Got his info from the website Tuneyourharley.com good reading! I ran his products on the last three Harley Baggers.
I'm also running them on my wifes 2010 SG Trike with the 103 engine. I have an Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air Filter and Jackpot mufflers on both bikes. We rode all summer in the heat. At times we were caught in heavy traffic. Never had a problem! Everybody screams get a tuner! Get it Dyno'd . I checked my plugs after the install and checked them from time to time. They are burning just right. I'll compare the running of my stock 96 with anybody. I don't believe it's possible for it to run any better. I think people underestimate the stock ECM on the bike. I also don't believe a lot know just how the XIED'S, FL-XIED's and VIED'S really work? Works for me at a fraction of the cost of a Tuner. JMO

Old 10-16-2010, 10:23 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Check your spark plugs, I'll bet they look crispy.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Getsch
Stage II

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
...Get a fuel management system & have the bike dyno tuned.It's worth the money, & your bike will love you for it...
agreed

Old 10-16-2010, 11:55 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have to check your plugs at different cruising RPMs using a chop test. You could be fine at idle, but lean during cruising, or lean at idle and fine during cruising.

To me it is a pain in the butt to chop test in different conditions. Buy a tuner. There are so many to choose from. I am sure there is one in the price range you want to spend. Well not spending anything would be optimum, but motor work versus a few hundred bucks for a tuner. Well you do the math.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

http://www.mastertune.net/

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...ID/15/scID/112 <---- A few here as well

or a Harley Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner. To name a few.

Last edited by editbrain; 10-17-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:34 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up FL-Xied's...

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Question is, do you plan to do more, like cams, big bore??? If stage 1 is as far as you plan to go, you don't need a Tuner. You can run it like it is and check your plugs to see if it's running too lean. I have a 2010 RK. It's stock except for stage 1
I don't plan on doing cams or anymore upgrades to the motor. I bought a set of FL-XIED's from Steve Mullen Ent. (niterider.com) Got his info from the website Tuneyourharley.com good reading! I ran his products on the last three Harley Baggers.
I'm also running them on my wifes 2010 SG Trike with the 103 engine. I have an Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air Filter and Jackpot mufflers on both bikes. We rode all summer in the heat. At times we were caught in heavy traffic. Never had a problem! Everybody screams get a tuner! Get it Dyno'd . I checked my plugs after the install and checked them from time to time. They are burning just right. I'll compare the running of my stock 96 with anybody. I don't believe it's possible for it to run any better. I think people underestimate the stock ECM on the bike. I also don't believe a lot know just how the XIED'S, FL-XIED's and VIED'S really work? Works for me at a fraction of the cost of a Tuner. JMO
+1 on the FL-Xied's. Very cost effective, and worked very well to cool the motor and improve driveability.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Signs of lean running??