Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 V-Twin, whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:21 AM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 V-Twin, whats the difference?

I know another oil question, but this is new information to me and I was reluctant to submit this but I'm curious and Done a search here and I will be bogged down for the next 12 months reading all the oil threads. Didnt want to start another oil bashing or cheap out on oil, but I use Mobil1 V-Twin in my bike but is there any merit on this guys own research, that the only differnce between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 V-Twin is the amount of molybdenum content. Sorry if this has been brought up before but I can get the Mobil 1 just around the corner, but the v-twin stuff I have to get sent up from 600 miles away. This guy in the link below reckons the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better choice of the two in his v-twin. He runs it and is happy with it. Mobil website says the Mobil 1 oil is still giving protection at 292F, and the only difference I can find is that Mobil 1 is made up to 15w-50 whereas you can get the V-Twin stuff with a viscosity of 20w-50

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

"The only laboratory measured difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin blend and the cheaper Mobil 1 car oil is that the car oil has a slightly higher molybdenum content than the bike oil and the bike oil has a higher price tag. There are no wet clutches inside a Harley motor, so if anything the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better (and cheaper) choice of the two.

Last edited by bikehe; 11-19-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikehe
I know another oil question, but this is new information to me and I was reluctant to submit this but I'm curious and Done a search here and I will be bogged down for the next 12 months reading all the oil threads. Didnt want to start another oil bashing or cheap out on oil, but I use Mobil1 V-Twin in my bike but is there any merit on this guys own research, that the only differnce between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 V-Twin is the amount of molybdenum content. Sorry if this has been brought up before but I can get the Mobil 1 just around the corner, but the v-twin stuff I have to get sent up from 600 miles away. This guy in the link below reckons the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better choice of the two in his v-twin. He runs it and is happy with it. Mobil website says the Mobil 1 oil is still giving protection at 292F, and the only difference I can find is that Mobil 1 is only made up to 15w-50 whereas you can get the V-Twin stuff with a viscosity of 20w-50

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

"The only laboratory measured difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin blend and the cheaper Mobil 1 car oil is that the car oil has a slightly higher molybdenum content than the bike oil and the bike oil has a higher price tag. There are no wet clutches inside a Harley motor, so if anything the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better (and cheaper) choice of the two.

The only laboratory measured difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin blend and the cheaper Mobil 1 car oil is that the car oil has a slightly higher molybdenum content than the bike oil and the bike oil has a higher price tag. There are no wet clutches inside a Harley motor, so if anything the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better (and cheaper) choice of the two. "

That is a good question. I use Mobil 1 V-T oil myself and would like to know also. So I went to their website and asked. I am awaiting the answer.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

price....i use the 15W50...got some Valvoline on sale this past week for $4.99/quart.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

About $5 a quart...

Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

Sounds like youre new source is on the money. I've read more than one article/lab analysis saying pretty much the same thing and have been a happy Mobil 1 15W-50 user for the past 7 years or so. I've torn my motor down twice for performance enhancements and everything looked perfect inside. There have got to be hundreds of thousands of harley riders using the automotive formula based on the many forums I've read on over the past 9 years of harley ownership.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 AM
bikehe
Tourer

Originally Posted by SeaHag
Sounds like youre new source is on the money. I've read more than one article/lab analysis saying pretty much the same thing and have been a happy Mobil 1 15W-50 user for the past 7 years or so. I've torn my motor down twice for performance enhancements and everything looked perfect inside. There have got to be hundreds of thousands of harley riders using the automotive formula based on the many forums I've read on over the past 9 years of harley ownership.
Seahag its good to hear from someone that has stripped a motor down and given it an inspection. Also the Mobil 1 for cars is highly recommended for vehicles with turbos and superchargers so the oil must be high temp tolerant especially going through the bearings on the turbo. Another thing is that the Mobil 1 car oil has a higher flash point to that of the v-twin stuff, so wouldnt that be better for an air cooled bike. From what I understand the other difference is that it dosnt have the friction modifiers in it for wet clutches which isnt needed on our bikes

Last edited by bikehe; 11-19-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I use Mobil1 15W-50 now after having used Amsoil 20W-50 for 10 years in my bikes. Not only it's much cheaper but my engine is quieter. Matter of fact, I use it also in my primary and I haven't experience any slippage. Good stuff.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 AM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Mobil 1 V-Twin don't hae friction modifiers added.
Mobil 1 does. The friction modifiers may cause issues with the clutch.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wingfoot
Mobil 1 V-Twin don't hae friction modifiers added.
Mobil 1 does. The friction modifiers may cause issues with the clutch.
and what if you don't use it in the primary???
only in the motor..

Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

[This is what I do, Gear oil in tranny and V in the primary

.quote=Deuce Bigelow;7554040]and what if you don't use it in the primary???
only in the motor..[/quote]

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 V-Twin, whats the difference?