Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod remote control ????

Old 12-09-2010, 02:16 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts
Default Ipod remote control ????

Anyone using a cool ipod remote control on their bike?

I checked out the H-D ipod interface while test riding a CVO bike- problem is, you have to take your eyes off of the road way too much to accomplish anything- never mind the $500.

I typically use my ipod in the fairing bag- when i have to do functions, I have to take off left glove, and operate holding ipod up high so eyes are still on the road ( more or less)

I would like to have some remote functions I can do with gloves on.

pause/play is the biggest priority

FF/REW

track advance

Anybody having any luck with the $20~$30 dollar remotes I see on the web?

I do have the nifty timex remote control watch but it doesn't work with ipod touch.- and the watch is under many sleeves this time of year.

I use BOTH ipod touch and 60 gig ipod classic on the bike

in my mind's eye I think ipod in fairing pouch, positioned so I can see the screen, remote control on console, left grip, or on outside of fairing pouch.

Mike

Old 12-09-2010, 02:44 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted on a device by Griffin call Autopilot. It does exactly what you have asked for. Fits in the standard cig lighter socket but because it has a compact head it doesn't dent the tank.

A cable runs to the AUX port and a second cable connects to the main iPod connector

Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

I checked out the H-D ipod interface while test riding a CVO bike- problem is, you have to take your eyes off of the road way too much to accomplish anything- never mind the $500.

I typically use my ipod in the fairing bag- when i have to do functions, I have to take off left glove, and operate holding ipod up high so eyes are still on the road ( more or less)

FF/REW

track advance

I do have the nifty timex remote control watch but it doesn't work with ipod touch.- and the watch is under many sleeves this time of year.

in my mind's eye I think ipod in fairing pouch, positioned so I can see the screen, remote control on console, left grip, or on outside of fairing pouch.

Mike
Regardless of how you go... Do keep this in mind. Most touch screens will not work if you have gloves on.
I was ready to start selling an mp3 player that would broadcast via FM (without wires), got all setup to do a road test and... I was unable to control the player while wearing gloves. That killed that.
Good luck.

Last edited by VTwin-Goodies; 12-09-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:34 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Regardless of how you go... Do keep this in mind. Most touch screens will not work if you have gloves on....That killed that.
Good luck.
Quite right, I use a rubber tipped stylus. Works well on cheap. Not while riding though

Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the iJet, all function RF remote with a big button access for using it with gloves. $30 bucks

Mimo.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

FF/REW

track advance

Mike

Here's something...
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick

Amazon has it for $30.
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-AirCli.../dp/B0007NWM10

Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the previous version of the iJet (the one that connects on top of the iPod and not at the bottom like the newest version) and it works great, up to 150+ feet range.

This is the one I have:

As you can see the remote is tiny, the newest version comes a lot bigger.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks Guys- i went to Fry's electronics today and got a unit which plugs into the lighter, gooseneck brings the ipod touch up just in front of the useless air temp gauge.

wireless remote control attaches to handlebar OR it is magnetic and I can just stick it to the gas tank.

has play/pause next track/last track functions

on sale ( discontinued item) for $35

Griffin Tuneflex.

Will likely extend the 12 volt plug to get the ipod up closer to my line of sight.

Thanks for all your help

Mike

Old 12-20-2010, 01:33 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Update- the tuneflex craps out on bumps or with vibration, I think the dock connection is too loose.

The magnetic remote mount also does not hold the remote securely enough, almost lost it.

back it goes to frys today- try again!

Mike

Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Update- the tuneflex craps out on bumps or with vibration, I think the dock connection is too loose...

Mike
Well, quite probably not. Posted on this before, if you are using a Touch or iPhone, go in to settings, IPod, make sure "shake to shuffle" is set to off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ipod remote control ????