Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Spark Plugs to use?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Mike Kautzman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Spark Plugs to use?

What are the best spark plugs to use and why? What brand and plug# along with heat range?
I want to replace the ones in my 09 Crossbones and know theres something better than HD plugs. I heard NGK's are good???

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It really doesn't matter what the "best" plugs are. High performance plugs tend to have higher internal resistance. The stock plugs (and that includes Screamin' Eagle) are the only ones that won't screw with the ION sensing circuit, thus causing false ignition retard where none is required, or worse... failing to retard timing when it is required. My stock plugs on a tuned, stage-1 96" motor still looked fine at 18K miles, and were within spec for gap. I don't believe in fixing what isn't broken.

Of course, if you have an aftermarket ECM, you can probably use whatever plugs you like.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:21 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've not had any issues with stock plugs...I replace them every oil change..cheap insurance.. I read somewhere (may have been on t his forum), that you don't benefit any by having non-stock plugs/wires on the stock engines....

Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Kautzman
What are the best spark plugs to use and why? What brand and plug# along with heat range?
I want to replace the ones in my 09 Crossbones and know theres something better than HD plugs. I heard NGK's are good???

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
here you go dude watch the video,those are going in when I do a stage one on my bike.
good luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03kB8bgXJP8

The following users liked this post:
snooop1e (01-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Mike Kautzman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice video? Maybe plugs can make a difference. I have a SE Air Cleaner Assy, Vance & Hines short shot exhaust with Dealer stage I download. Think these NGK's would be right plugs for my setup?

Thanks again!

Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the Iridium NGK plugs in my bike now. No noticeable difference. When I replace them I'll go with the standard NGK or Autolite.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:23 AM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the stock ones and will replace them again with the stock ones. They are working just fine.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:45 AM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i recently put accel non resistor plugs in my stage I 1200 sporty runs excellent, non resistor copper plugs are said to fire better, the only metal with less resistance is silver or gold, i do not believe in the hype of exotic metals, the reason newer cars use then is because they must warranty emission parts for 100,000 miles, longevity and not performance is the issue here

Old 12-25-2010, 10:19 AM
DWKen
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

There's absolutely no reason to switch brands of plugs unless you're trying to save a little bit of money to buy chrome.

Last edited by DWKen; 12-25-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:19 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,569 Likes on 4,608 Posts

Originally Posted by DWKen
Don't believe everything you see. For one thing, I don't believe that motor was up to temperature. I never put a new plug into a hot motor. Does a person start a customer's motor and immediately do a red-line WOT run? Makes his before/after comparison invalid. Another thing, no anti-seize on the plug before installing and not torqued? My first impression of this mechanic is not competent, thinks he knows stuff.
The best plugs for an HD engine are the stock HD plugs. The knock sensing is sensitive to plug wires and plugs.

OH, and the spark doesn't go through one brand of plug any faster than another. Electricity flows through a conductor at a very high rate of speed, like 186,000 miles per second. There's no way it could spark any faster or slower through a plug.

Just my opinion, of course.
just because you don't put plugs in a hot motor doesn't mean others don't. no reason not to other than burning yourself, secondly plugs may or may not have had antisieze put on prior to installation, not all mechanics use the stuff, I do, and believe in it, but thats just me. third while current flows at a high rate (186000 mps) it doesnt jump gaps at the same rate. different metals will conduct the current better and metal with lower resistance will allow it to jump easier. its not hard to believe this vid. from a mechanics standpoint, I do believe its true and accurate, by the way I don't run the NGK plugs at this time, but I may consider it next plug change. every little bit helps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Spark Plugs to use?