Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine removal

Old 12-27-2010, 02:27 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Engine removal

(in ref to a 2006 Dyna)
A guy I met on a ride is thinking of sending his engine to HD's rebuild. It's got quite a few miles on it even though it's a 2006. It's blowing some smoke. The local shop told him his rings are going (I assume they did a compression test) and that he needs some valve work. Anyhow he rides a lot of miles and just wants to rebuild rather than trade up.

The local HD charges to remove and put his engine back in separate from the ship and rebuild price. He is wondering what is involved in removing it himself.

I have never done this but I looked in my manual (although my manual is an 07 and his bike is 06) and it mainly looks like pulling the primary (outer and inner), then pulling the top stabilizer and bracket, horn, intake manifold, fuel connections, exhaust, etc. And then bracing the engine with "something" and unbolting the front motor mount and unbolting the engine from the trans.

What we would like obviously is some input from those who have done this as to what to watch out for. Also we are wondering how much does just the engine weigh ? I.e. can one guy handle and lift the thing out once it 's unbolted, or is it a 2 man job or should we just leave the stabilizer bracket on and borrow somebody's engine boom lift ? The dyna pan sticks down below the frame so I'm thinking it has to lift it up and tilt it out of the frame ?
Appreciate any input.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:24 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Popping the motor out isnt difficult. You've pretty much outlined it already. Dont worry about the oil pan, its on the bottom of the trans.
Motor weighs about 175 complete with residual oil
One man can do it, but you'll wish you had two.
Just rock the top out, then lift and slide from right side of bike.
Protect the frame to keep from trashing the powdercoating.
Takes about an hour

Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,715 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B

(in ref to a 2006 Dyna)

. He is wondering what is involved in removing it himself.

What we would like obviously is some input from those who have done this as to what to watch out for.
unbolt everything from the motor -

I used a ratshit strap to support the transmission. shown twice in the pix below

you don't need to support the engine

it's not going anywhere until you

kneel down

hug the jugs tightly

wiggle a little to slide the motor forward off the dowels

lean back

pivot around and place it on the little bench that you have ready.

package the unit carefully for transport to the HD facilities.

always doublecheck me on everything

Old 12-27-2010, 06:28 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

(in ref to a 2006 Dyna)
A guy I met on a ride is thinking of sending his engine to HD's rebuild. It's got quite a few miles on it even though it's a 2006. It's blowing some smoke. The local shop told him his rings are going (I assume they did a compression test) and that he needs some valve work. Anyhow he rides a lot of miles and just wants to rebuild rather than trade up.

The local HD charges to remove and put his engine back in separate from the ship and rebuild price. He is wondering what is involved in removing it himself.

I have never done this but I looked in my manual (although my manual is an 07 and his bike is 06) and it mainly looks like pulling the primary (outer and inner), then pulling the top stabilizer and bracket, horn, intake manifold, fuel connections, exhaust, etc. And then bracing the engine with "something" and unbolting the front motor mount and unbolting the engine from the trans.

What we would like obviously is some input from those who have done this as to what to watch out for. Also we are wondering how much does just the engine weigh ? I.e. can one guy handle and lift the thing out once it 's unbolted, or is it a 2 man job or should we just leave the stabilizer bracket on and borrow somebody's engine boom lift ? The dyna pan sticks down below the frame so I'm thinking it has to lift it up and tilt it out of the frame ?
Appreciate any input.
I have 105k and just did the top end. The bottom end may be just fine for another 100. How many miles does your buddy have??? He may just need a new top end and could save some serious money. just sayin

Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Originally Posted by jaxdwg
I have 105k and just did the top end. The bottom end may be just fine for another 100. How many miles does your buddy have??? He may just need a new top end and could save some serious money. just sayin
That is something I will mention to him.
----------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by kk6pg
Popping the motor out isnt difficult. You've pretty much outlined it already. Dont worry about the oil pan, its on the bottom of the trans. Motor weighs about 175 complete
Thanks man, hmmm.... 175lbs of awkward weight with two guys with bad backs, we better get a small engine boom. I've done my fair share of heavy lifting years ago in construction, but I'm 60yrs old and my back is wore out. I still daily do a clean and press workout with a 75lb barbell but that's not 175lbs in an awkward position. He is in his 50's and not sure if he is up to that or not.
----------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by mud
..... ..........
Thanks for the excellent pics and tips. That's good to know that the motor/trans has dowels involved. So I can remove the bolts of the front engine brace, and then the trans and then get ready to move the engine.

I notice in the pic what "appears" to be the aluminum bike lift that sells at H.F. and some other resellers. I already have the steel H.F. lift, but had guys tell me that the aluminum lift was flimsy and tends to sway with the weight. Is this true?
In any case thanks much for the reply.

Last edited by R_W_B; 12-27-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Just an FYI....if he does the HD rebuild, the stealer must install it for the warranty....

Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the end play on the crank. If it's within spec,a ring job should work just fine.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by teqsand
Just an FYI....if he does the HD rebuild, the stealer must install it for the warranty....
Thanks we were wondering about that. He is checking some other private rebuilders that he can ship to. Not sure what warranty they offer yet.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,715 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Thanks man, hmmm....

175lbs of awkward weight with two guys with bad backs,

we better get a small engine boom.
post up a video.

I'd like to see this operation.

never even heard of this boom technique for a 2 cylinder engine extraction.

side note -

you hear about the heart surgeon that wanted to watch
while the HD Tech reworked his engine.

tech says - doc, i need to know -
I pull this things heart out, remove the valves, rework everything
put it all back, works like new.

so, why do I get paid peanuts and you get the big bux??

heart surgeon yawns and says -
why don't you try that while it's runnin???

The following users liked this post:
Luckincan (12-10-2022)
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by mud
post up a video.
I'd like to see this operation. never even heard of this boom technique for a 2 cylinder engine extraction.

side note -
you hear about the heart surgeon that wanted to watch
while the HD Tech reworked his engine.
Don't think we'd be doin the video on that one. I might could put a chain around my shoulders (while standing) and lift it out while he guided it. But bent over on my old knees I aint worth a **** no more. Used to do squat sets with 350 lbs many yrs ago, but time changes things.
Maybe when (if he does it) we actually get into it I might find it's not that bad, but if it is in fact 175lbs then it's gonna be a chore for me. However I did a search and found a shipping ticket that said, 155 lbs Freight Class: 50; Harley Engine in Crate with handles. So say the crate weighed 20lbs that's got it down to 135 lbs, even my old back might could grab that sucker yet.

How bout the one where the guy goes in the meat market and they have Doctor's brains for $1 a lb, Lawyer's brains for $1 a lb, and politician's brains for $50 a lb. The guy asks why the politician's brains are so much more.
The meat man says if you knew how many politicians I had to kill to get a lb of brains you would not ask.

Last edited by R_W_B; 12-28-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine removal