Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Help finding picture of 67 shovelhead frame

Old 12-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Brewcatz
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding picture of 67 shovelhead frame

I have a frame I'm trying to identify and think that it is a 1967 shovelhead swingarm frame and a frame picture would be helpful. I've found various pictures through google images that helped narrow down the possiblities but I'm still not certain. There is no vin number on this one and the spot for one on the neck is rounded normal like a pre 70's frame with no evidence of a flat spot/number being ground off. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:56 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

snap some pics from different angles and post them...someone will identify it.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM
flh80
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 65-67 were all the same and maybe indistinguishable. In mid 68 the MoCo added a gusset to the lower left rear down tube just above the swing arm mount where the tube is welded to the casting, the early electric starts would crack there without it. But that's no guaranty it could have been added to an older frame also.

Last edited by flh80; 12-12-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Brewcatz
5th Gear

These frame casting numbers might help as well as the pictures attached...please let me know what you folks think it is for sure. Thanks and all have a great holidays!

C7 Top motor mount
47664-48Y Front motor mount cross member
47671-58-Y down tube
47645-65Y rear upper frame pieces
47652-73 two hole bracket rear frame down tube right side
47654-73 two hole bracket rear frame down tube left side

Attached Thumbnails Help finding picture of 67 shovelhead frame-hd-frame-to-identify.jpg   Help finding picture of 67 shovelhead frame-neck-r-side1.jpg  
Old 12-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,154 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewcatz
These frame casting numbers might help as well as the pictures attached...please let me know what you folks think it is for sure. Thanks and all have a great holidays!

C7 Top motor mount
47664-48Y Front motor mount cross member
47671-58-Y down tube
47645-65Y rear upper frame pieces
47652-73 two hole bracket rear frame down tube right side
47654-73 two hole bracket rear frame down tube left side

I am pretty sure the C7 is the year the frame was made...March 67

Old 12-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Brewcatz
5th Gear

Yes, the C7 means it was made in March of a year that ended in 7. I don't know enough to know if it is a 1967 or 1977 frame. The lack of a VIN number and there being no flat spot for it on the neck suggests it's a pre 1970 or the neck was replaced. The top motor mount opening would suggest a post 1970 frame according to one reference. What about the square tubing on the rear swing arm...is that a clue? And what about the rectangular pieces on the rear down tubes? The frame casting numbers that include "73" at the end of the number throws me off too as I thought the last two numbers were the first year the casting was used and if so in this case, it would suggest the frame is a 1973 with no VIN number. Am I screwed or what? Thanks for any more help anyone can add...all is appreciated!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 184 Posts

Brewcatz, if the date code stamped on your top mount is C7 then that indicates your frame was made in March 1977 given the other info you supplied. So that could mean it’s a 77 model frame. Or perhaps a 78 model frame because Harley didn’t always use things straight away.

I don't know exactly when the letter Y was added to the upper rear casting number (47645-65Y) but that type of casting first appeared for 1965 and was identified back then as just 47645-65.

The sections with casting numbers 47652-73 (lower right) and 47654-73 (lower left) were both first introduced for 1973 models. The square tube swingarm was also first introduced for 1973 and although your photo isn’t great your particular swingarm may be 1976 or later.

The two-hole blocks (rectangular pieces) attached to the rear of the rear downtubes may be the type which first appeared on 1977 model frames and they are what the passenger footpeg brackets bolted to. However, I can’t tell from your photo whether they are genuine H-D blocks or not and sometimes people just made their own and welded them on. Can you post close-ups of both left and right sides?

It’s hard to be sure about the opening in the top mount but it looks like a horizontally-elongated hole. Is that correct? The elongated opening was first introduced for 1970 model frames.

All frames 1970 or later would usually have a VIN boss and even some late-69 frames had them although the late-69 VIN boss was unstamped because Shovelheads didn’t get frame numbers until 1970 models. But the photo of your steering head shows no VIN boss and you said there’s no evidence of a flat spot/number being ground off. Notice the steering head has a hole for a padlock and it also appears to have an undrilled boss for a steering head lock. Both those things, when appearing together with no VIN boss, indicate either early-69 or mid-69 so I wonder if it’s a replacement steering head. Is there anything stamped on the LEFT side of the steering head such as a letter and some numbers? If they are there they will be small so you’ll have to look closely. Eric

Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Brewcatz
5th Gear

Eric and all, it still seems it could be either a 1967 or a 1977 frame. The top engine mount hole is horizontally-elongated. More pictures are shown of the neck and blocks on the rear downtubes...on the one side of the neck it appears to have an embossed "1" and on the other side an embossed "4" but the 4 is not quite complete almost as if it is a symbol of some sort. Thanks for the feedback and hope the additional pictures help.
Mark

Attached Thumbnails Help finding picture of 67 shovelhead frame-eng-mount4.jpg   Help finding picture of 67 shovelhead frame-neck-lside8.jpg   Help finding picture of 67 shovelhead frame-neck-rside9999.jpg   Help finding picture of 67 shovelhead frame-down-tube8-3.jpg  
Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 184 Posts

Mark, thanks for the extra photos but your frame wasn't made in 67. As I said above, C7 indicates it was made in March 77 given the other info you supplied. The numbers you gave for the lower rear castings were first used for 1973. If it was a 67 frame I would expect the lower right-hand casting number to have a 58 suffix and the whole number would probably be 47651-58. And although I’m still investigating the lower left casting on some models, if your frame was made in 67 then the left casting number would have a suffix ending in either 58 or 65. And there are other differences between your lower rear castings and some earlier ones and you’ll see some of those differences in the two photos below which are of a frame made in May 1967. (NB: The frame below is NOT completely original but it’s close.)

Also as I mentioned earlier, the elongated opening in the top mount was first introduced for 1970. Big Twin swingarm frames prior to that had a hole shaped as per the one shown below. And you’ll further notice the overall outside shape of your top mount is different to the one in the photos I’ve posted.

The two-hole blocks on your rear downtubes appear to be positioned in the usual place for a frame made in 77 and that was the first model year they appeared. And you’ll probably find those blocks measure 2-1/2” x 1/2” with the holes 1-1/2” centre to centre.

The only thing I see on your frame that doesn’t comply with 1977 is the steering head but that may be a replacement as we discussed. Eric

Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM
flh80
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing I check for is a vin, if there is none then I look for this. Then check the othe little details.

Last edited by flh80; 12-29-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help finding picture of 67 shovelhead frame