Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide tank removal

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Thatguy08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Glide tank removal

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace the headlight on my 2010 WG and I want to do it myself. The problem is: I don't know how to remove the tank to get to the wiring. Does anyone know if theres a video out there of someone taking a tank off? I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

There are only two bolts--one on the front and one at the rear ....

Then, push up on the outer sleeve of the fuel line release and pull the fuel line down ...

Lastly is getting the crossover tube off (under the front of the tank) ... just have to remove one side or the other ... I think the stock clamp has to be sacrificed to get the tube off ... but, at that point you have to be ready to start collecting fuel (if you haven't already burned off the fuel or siphoned as much fuel out of the tank as possible) ... have something ready to cap off the elbow and a container ready to start catching fuel out of the tube ....

Now ... you'll have to release the electrical connectors (molex, I believe) for the fuel gauge, and the speedometer, instrument lights and ignition cluster ... not too hard, should be press/pry and pull apart ....

The question is whether it is really necessary to remove the tank to replace the headlight ... there's a cover under and behind the steering head on the frame ... there is some excess wiring in the backbone of the frame that can be pulled out to provide slack for the headlight ... so, if you remove the tank bolts and release the fuel line, you can probably shove the tank up and to the rear to allow enough room to work ....

Good luck, and hope some other guys who've done it recently can confirm what I've described and/or give you some other tips ....

R/
'Chop

Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just remove the plastic cover under the backbone in front. There is a lot of wiring in there you can pull out and get to. I just did mine on my fatbob and sure i is the same. A manual will help a lot with the wiring diagrams.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Thatguy08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome I'll check that out. If I can avoid removing the tank completely I will. Thanks.