Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Herko Pro Kit

Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Herko Pro Kit

Has anyone use the Herko Pro Kit to install hydraulic tensioners? I sent off for the info and he quoted me 499.00 for the coversion kit and sent a lot of good info with it. I checked the coversion kit from HD and it is about the same price. Just wondering if any have used his kit..

Joe

Old 01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I did not use the Herko kit but everything I have read about the kit and doing business with John has been positive. He seems to have a lot of satisfied customers.

Last edited by rags; 01-17-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: changed wording
Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
Has anyone use the Herko Pro Kit to install hydraulic tensioners? I sent off for the info and he quoted me 499.00 for the coversion kit and sent a lot of good info with it. I checked the coversion kit from HD and it is about the same price. Just wondering if any have used his kit..Joe
Can't go wrong with John's kit; it's all in there and he used to sned a small pack of Cracker Jacks with his stuff.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 PM
jbmunnoch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing is that you have to buy new cams and with the SE kit you can reuse your stock cams. You are also limited to using conversion cams which does not have the same amount if cam choices

Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put in Johns kit this weekend. Absolutely every thing you could possibly need is there. Reusing stock cams shouldnt even be an issue.....your already in there...you might as well spend another $200 and get some more torque out of the thing. For a stock 88 John recommended I use an Andrews 21N and I do alot of trailer pulling. You cant go wrong with the Herko kit.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:55 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slyder
I just put in Johns kit this weekend. Absolutely every thing you could possibly need is there. Reusing stock cams shouldnt even be an issue.....your already in there...you might as well spend another $200 and get some more torque out of the thing. For a stock 88 John recommended I use an Andrews 21N and I do alot of trailer pulling. You cant go wrong with the Herko kit.
What all besides the kit did you buy from John? And what was your total amount spent? I am seriously considering using him, but want to talk to my Indy first and see if he is comfortable putting it in for me! I see a lot of tools on his list, did you buy any of them?

Joe

Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to have new lifters, pushrods and cams cause i had one lobe and one lifter scarred from something. I also needed a different 34 tooth sprocket with the trigger on it since my bike is a 99. So total was $1000. He is a little high on the cams and stuff but his service was worth the extra amount. I probably could have gone gear drive cheaper but i was right on the cuttoff point with my runout at 0.003". I got my tools off of ebay. Heartland Products. Way cheaper that JIMS and just as good. Make sure when you buy your cam lock tool to buy one for the NEW Cam sprockets.......not the old ones. I made the mistake of buying one for my 99.....problem is it doesnt fit with the new roller chain sprockets. You can just use an impact to remove the bolts on the old sprockets and use the camlock tool to install the new ones. And you WILL need it cause you have to try different spacers until you get the right gap on the cam sprocket.

The conversion is really easy to do. I just took my time and made a day of it. A manual is a must and a good inch lb torque wrench. I think I spent $140 on the cam bearing puller/installer, cam lock tool and oil pump alignment screws. Im sure ill use them again someday.

Last edited by slyder; 01-17-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

If you aren't planning on different cams just go with the SE kit, you can get it on ebay or the discount dealers for about $367, add about $30 for inner bearings & a gasket & you're there. Talk to your indy & see which way will be cheaper, if you get adjustable pushrods he can just cut out the old ones & install them without having to remove the fuel tank & rocker boxes, he'll have to do that to reuse your stock pushrods. You'll also have to see if he's alright with you buying the parts somewhere else, some want to get the mark-up on parts since most are in the parts sales business also. I just did the SE kit this fall since I already had aftermarket cams in my bike already, I had 68K on the cams & lifters & they still looked perfect, so yours could be fine also, you won't know for sure until you get in there. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by DTTJGlide; 01-17-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
Has anyone use the Herko Pro Kit to install hydraulic tensioners? I sent off for the info and he quoted me 499.00 for the coversion kit and sent a lot of good info with it. I checked the coversion kit from HD and it is about the same price. Just wondering if any have used his kit..

Joe
Joe:

I've been dealing with Herko for years, and as some have said, his service and support is second to none!

Not sure what year your bike is, but don't discount doing the conversion yourself. Plenty of people/forums that will virtually walk you through the conversion. And IMO, you'll be way ahead going with the conversion cams, and complete '07 & up camchest conversion. Might cost a bit more initially for cams, pushrods, etc; but if you love your bike and plan on keeping it, then by all means do the Herko conversion.

There's also riders out there that will rent you the necessary tools to do the complete job.

Also, you'll be way ahead ($) by going with adjustable pushrods vs. pulling the tank and top end! An H-D service manual is also a must.

The reward of doing it yourself will be priceless!

An example of an '07 swap that will give you an idea of what to expect:

http://www.box.net/shared/df4byi59zi

So Mote It Be.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
PDDGM
Road Master

If I had a place to do the work, I would most likely try it. But I live in a condo and only have a small storage unit for the bike, no electricty or heat. If I go this route, I will have to pay someone to do it. Just don't know if my Indy will let me buy the parts and he do the labor or what until I talk to him. I am still comparing the cost of getting all the things done to the bike Vs trading it in. Thanks for all the help and from the email I got with the Herko quote and info, it does seem like a good company and person to deal with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Herko Pro Kit