Fuel Moto / Jackpot Mufflers USA's leader in EFI tuning and exhaust systems.

Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Test Archive

Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts
Default Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Test Archive

Here is info from the TW-555 - SE255 cam test thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel-moto.html

As noted in an earlier thread Fuel Moto is going to thoroughly test both the Wood's TW-555 cams and the Screamin Eagle SE255 cams as a direct comparison. We are going to use the following test procedure and have everything scheduled for tomorrow Jan 11th.

The bike is a 2010 Street Glide 96" with a Jackpot 2/1/2 headpipe, Jackpot mufflers, Stage 1 air cleaner and a Dynojet Power Vision. The bike currently has the TW-555 cams installed and I will start tomorrow a.m with a dyno evaluation which will give our base numbers for the TW-555 cams. We will then swap cams to the SE 255's and I will give it a full dyno tune. When finished I will again complete a full dyno evaluation for the SE 255 cams. The tests will be performed on the same bike, same day, same fuel, etc... These are both great cam choices and I am as interested as everyone else in seeying the exact differences. I will post information as it becomes available.

A thanks goes out to Lp for sending me the SE 255 cams for this test.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Got the cams swapped and the bike back up on the dyno and gave it a thorough tune. Like the TW-555's, the valvetrain with the SE255's is nice and quiet and the exhaust note is very similar. The SE255's actually performed pretty well overall and ended up about where I expected. While these charts show the differences pretty clearly, I was figuring the SE cams would make a bit better power in the lower RPM's as by 2600 RPM's the Wood's cams have the advantage and make over 10 more peak HP, but on the other hand I also though the SE cams would fall earlier than they did, overall the SE cams did OK in my book. Both cams work very well, it all depends where you want your power and how much of it you are looking for. There is no doubt Bobby Wood did his homework with the TW-555. Here are some charts for your viewing pleasure. 2 sets of cams, same bike, same day

Blue chart is SE255 cams
Red chart is Wood TW-555 cams

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Here is a run comparison from the cam test which was performed at 30% throttle from approx 2250-5000 RPM with both the SE255 (blue run) and the TW-555 cams (red run)
While the peak HP is similar, the Woods cams make 16% more Tq overall in this part throttle roll on test. Note the TPS channel on this chart which shows 1% variance in throttle blade for this test

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have charts for the 103" with the SE-255 and TW555s? I have the 103" Stage II with the PCV and Auto-tune, the SE intake and Supertrapp exhaust. I'd be interested in seeing what it does with my configuration before I consider buying.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm wood cam made more power with the compression drop due to valve timing.
I would like to see a comparison to a similr cam like the t-man 555. Wood against Tman. Similar intake close, and lift. Differences are split duration and longer duration.
Yep still waiting for that comparison.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Nexus9
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

This is really useful, thanks for the post. The 1/3 throttle has a lot of meaning, as we spend a whole lot more time there than at WOT.

One question, though - isn't the SE255 designed to work with the 103?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Nexus9
Cruiser

One other thing - everybody keeps talking about horsepower, which is really pretty meaningless (IMHO) unless you're at a dragstrip in a vehicle with a clutch. The torque curve tells us a lot more about how a bike will feel when we crack open the throttle, which is how most people evaluate "power".

Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm assuming stock heads, and without nominal compression for either cam?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I'm assuming stock heads, and without nominal compression for either cam?
This was a test to compare the results of two bolt in cams in an otherwise stock 96" motor

Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
This was a test to compare the results of two bolt in cams in an otherwise stock 96" motor
Thanks. Way good of you to do this for us. Cool comparison.

Thank you.

I'd expect that the 555's curve would have extended out a little on the right end with better heads, while not so sure on the 255's.

Again, thanks!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Nexus9
Cruiser

Hey Jamie,

Something's been rolling around in my mind for a while. Dyno charts originated a long time ago, and were originally used by drag racers who needed to see the effect of modifications they made to their cars. Gradually, dyno readings moved into the mainstream, and became affordable enough that average techy street guys started to buy them, but they still retain that same WOT format that originated with the dragstrip guys. ('cause dragstrip guys spend all their time at WOT)
How would you like to be one of the first to change the format and start providing dyno charts for the real world? This would start as simply as providing 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and WOT torque curves imposed on the same graph in the same session. Throw out the horsepower - it's meaningless. It would seem to me that intelligent riders (that is NOT an oxymoron! ) would grab onto that right away and understand the significance of it, and soon, everyone would follow.
How much time do we spend WFO anyway? This might also inspire cam manufacturers to build cams that perform better in the throttle ranges that we actually spend most of our time in, instead of building cams that look good at WOT.
Remember the old shift point maps? We would take torque curves in every gear on the same graph, and the point at which they crossed clearly defined our shift points on the drag strip - no more guessing. It was very precise.
What do you think...?

Old 02-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Nexus9
Hey Jamie,

Something's been rolling around in my mind for a while. Dyno charts originated a long time ago, and were originally used by drag racers who needed to see the effect of modifications they made to their cars. Gradually, dyno readings moved into the mainstream, and became affordable enough that average techy street guys started to buy them, but they still retain that same WOT format that originated with the dragstrip guys. ('cause dragstrip guys spend all their time at WOT)
How would you like to be one of the first to change the format and start providing dyno charts for the real world? This would start as simply as providing 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and WOT torque curves imposed on the same graph in the same session. Throw out the horsepower - it's meaningless. It would seem to me that intelligent riders (that is NOT an oxymoron! ) would grab onto that right away and understand the significance of it, and soon, everyone would follow.
How much time do we spend WFO anyway? This might also inspire cam manufacturers to build cams that perform better in the throttle ranges that we actually spend most of our time in, instead of building cams that look good at WOT.
Remember the old shift point maps? We would take torque curves in every gear on the same graph, and the point at which they crossed clearly defined our shift points on the drag strip - no more guessing. It was very precise.
What do you think...?
That wouldn't be new. Many tuners make dyno passes in the lower rpm's and lower gears during the tuning process. They use this info to make adjustments then repeat the passes. 80% throttle, 60% throttle, etc.
The objective is to recreate all real world riding conditions and tune for them. A reputable tuner will do this. A joe-blow dealership often tunes at WOT only but charges full price.

You don't see them posted because of their insignificance as a final picture.
If I am looking at someone elses sheet for power comparisons, I give a crap what his bike does at 20% throttle. Only my own bike matters at 20% throttle. Why? Because I won't be racing anybody at 20% throttle!

A WOT sheet still shows the torque measurement of the lower rpm's.
A low curve on the left side of the sheet will indeed prove your bike to suck while climbing the hills. A high number there will prove to be a pleasure in the mountains.

The WOT sheet tells me all I need to know about a build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Test Archive