Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial indications of a compensator going bad

Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Initial indications of a compensator going bad

I would like to know what are the first indications or initial symptoms of a compensator that is beginning to go. This way I can be on the alert and have it taken care of before a total failure of the unit should I have that problem in the future.

Thanks to those that reply.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Bushrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...mpensater.html

Summary: Big bang at startup (may or may not be a problem)
Sound like rocks or marbles rolling around in the primary.

I've been hearing the bang at startup but not the gravel-filled primary noise. I've subscribed to every thread I can find on the subject and will continue to monitor.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:48 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushrider
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...mpensater.html

Summary: Big bang at startup (may or may not be a problem)
Sound like rocks or marbles rolling around in the primary.

I've been hearing the bang at startup but not the gravel-filled primary noise. I've subscribed to every thread I can find on the subject and will continue to monitor.
Bang happens once in awhile.....rarely. No other symptoms so just keeping an eye on things for the time being.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 AM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it is worth, my '10 Ultra would fire up with a bang occasionally. After I changed cams I no longer hear it. Not sure why but I noticed it right off the bat. I am sure the experts will chime in with a why. Without hearing the bang is there still a reason to worry? Is there damage still being done.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by jimski
I would like to know what are the first indications or initial symptoms of a compensator that is beginning to go. This way I can be on the alert and have it taken care of before a total failure of the unit should I have that problem in the future.

Thanks to those that reply.
As others have noted, the "bang" or hard hit on start up. I also noticed some drive train surging or slack under low-load conditions as if the drive belt had a great deal of slack in it.

I've since replaced the stock comp with the SE version and that seems to have solved my issues...it's been fine for a couple years and many thousands of miles.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When mine went I started getting what sounded like a bad starter gear but only when engine was hot. It would bang and jerk when I'd start up after getting gas or stopping for less then an hour. Sounded fine when starting cold. Finally took out the rotor.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Marine Trader
Cruiser

Would not the bang or backfire be caused by excessive fuel in the compression chamber on start up? I guess the next question is why was there excessive fuel in the compression chamber.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

been told compression and where the engine stops/starts from has the bang effect.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 AM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine gave no warning, and when it went, it went big time! Here's a link to original discussion.

I replaced mine with the beefier SE unit (under warranty, only had to pay price difference).

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...mpensator.html

Old 01-22-2011, 12:10 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
When mine went I started getting what sounded like a bad starter gear but only when engine was hot. It would bang and jerk when I'd start up after getting gas or stopping for less then an hour. Sounded fine when starting cold. Finally took out the rotor.
My 07 sounds like its doing the same as yours did. I'm at 52K miles and wanting a SE comp. When you say it took out the rotor, is that the same as the stator?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Initial indications of a compensator going bad