Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please advise for 2010 FLHTK 103 power increase

Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please advise for 2010 FLHTK 103 power increase

I have been doing a lot of research on this forum asking questions about radios, speakers , hyperchargers, cams and exhuast. but I still not have pulled the trigger on intake, headers and ECU, primarilly becuase I am not in the US.

Last October, was home for a week and I pulled the trigger on the Klock werks straight cut long slip ons and they sound and look great!!! THey are simple, but I like the simple look of rolled edges and no fancy cap, kind of old school if you ask me, however, I got some decel pop though.
I changed all my speakers and added four with an amp, HOG tunes, plenty loud now.

here is my purchase list for June after all my reading:

TTS Mastertune single bike kit
Vance and hines Power Duals
Klock werks straight cut longs (already have them on)
S&S tuned double barrel staggered port Induction Looks like the ness double sucker but more hot rod and less robotic (J&P cycles lists it as fitting the FLHTK has anybody tried?)
Performance Machine Disel contrast wheels same size as stock

What do you think? after all I read, this set up sounds like this will give me at least 15-20 % increase in torque and Horsepower across the board? Am I over thinking the increase?
Is there a better and cheaper way to get the same or more increase. I really want the 103 to **** or get off the pot, if you kow what I mean. I bought it brand new and rode it 1000 miles, during the short time I was home and it seemed a little sluggish for a 103 CI fuel injected motor.

So tell me what you think.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I don't have the same exact setup that you have but I did the Fuelmoto stage 1 on my Limited and even though I have not had it dynoed Fuelmoto on their site dyno's show about a 15% increase over stock. I can tell you the 103 is now awake especially above 3500 rpm's. See my sig.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

Not to sound like a dummy but I am not exactly sure what dyno is or does, can you give me a basic idea, I always see this in posts.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think a new headpipe and slip-on mufflers, an S/E style air filter,and a Power Commander V will get you what you want, and if not it is a short jump to a set of cams that definitely will. Mine is more than adequate with the set-up I have.

Mark

Old 01-26-2011, 04:55 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

timmy, dynometers have rolling drums that your rear wheel sets on, and your rear wheel drives these drums. the rolling drums indicate what level of horsepower and torque your motor is developing. this is throughout the rev range, and it's the best way to dial in your engine for max power and torque. if you look around in here, you'll see dyno charts, and this is the printout you get when your bike is dynoed.
back to the o.p. i have a good friend who just got a 103 limited and he's ridden my streetglide with a hot rodded 103, and he can't understand why his bike runs so lame in comparison. it's all about the cams, compression, head flow, and fuel/ignition tuning. this, along with good intake flow and an excellent exhaust system will get you to exactly where you want to be.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the explination, and the info, learn something new everyday. Do I need to go the shop even if I have a TTS or a Power comander, or do I do both?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
gladiator
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Timmey
I went with the fuel moto header, dyno tuned mufflers. fuel moto intake and the power commander 5.
I was very happy with the improvement in performance.
I cant stress enough the AWSOME customer support I received from Jamie and fuel moto.
Right after fuel moto came out with there power commander 5 map for the 103. I headed on a 4,000 mile road trip to Arizona. Along the way I started having issues with an occasional lean misfire at Cruz. Jamie was kind enough to send a new power commander 5 at 2nd day air to my parent house in Arizona (as we thought the issue might have been a bad power commander) and he didn't even want a deposit or credit card number. Hell for all he knew I could have just kept the spare and then had 2.
I cant stress enough the time and effort jamie has spent to squeeze every little ounce of power out of the products he sells buy coming up with his own maps.
In the end it just ended up being a map issue and jamie sent me a new map that I downloaded at home into my power commander.
You can go with whatever set up u like. But its hard to beat the support that comes behind the fuel moto products.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Timmy,

I went with Vance & Hines true dual headers, a power commander set up, Vance and Hines Widow pipes and a stage 1 big suck set up. Had it all dyno-ed up for maximum efficiency and torque. When I rode out of the shop I was grinning from ear to ear. The sound is deep and beautiful and did that ever wake up that 103. What a beauty to ride!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 PM
mac0478
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Timmy B
I have been doing a lot of research on this forum asking questions about radios, speakers , hyperchargers, cams and exhuast. but I still not have pulled the trigger on intake, headers and ECU, primarilly becuase I am not in the US.

Last October, was home for a week and I pulled the trigger on the Klock werks straight cut long slip ons and they sound and look great!!! THey are simple, but I like the simple look of rolled edges and no fancy cap, kind of old school if you ask me, however, I got some decel pop though.
I changed all my speakers and added four with an amp, HOG tunes, plenty loud now.

here is my purchase list for June after all my reading:

TTS Mastertune single bike kit
Vance and hines Power Duals
Klock werks straight cut longs (already have them on)
S&S tuned double barrel staggered port Induction Looks like the ness double sucker but more hot rod and less robotic (J&P cycles lists it as fitting the FLHTK has anybody tried?)
Performance Machine Disel contrast wheels same size as stock

What do you think? after all I read, this set up sounds like this will give me at least 15-20 % increase in torque and Horsepower across the board? Am I over thinking the increase?
Is there a better and cheaper way to get the same or more increase. I really want the 103 to **** or get off the pot, if you kow what I mean. I bought it brand new and rode it 1000 miles, during the short time I was home and it seemed a little sluggish for a 103 CI fuel injected motor.

So tell me what you think.
As I am without a ride at the moment (though I have approval to buy the Blue/Black FLHTK of my dreams from my wife in December after house renovations) I am super excited to see your Mod list as it is exactly what I would put on my list If I was to write one up. The only exception is I would probably go a 18/21 combination for the wheels but that is just a matter of personal choice. Make sure you post some pics when it is all done.

Ride free!