Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Touch up paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:20 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Touch up paint?

Has anyone had to use the H-D touch up paint? Does it match good or should I have the dealer do it.

I got about a 1/16th chip through the paint.

If you want a story:

So putting my softbrake on and I'm using bolts with LED's for the plate light. So I get the plate relocater on and then find out that the holes aren't big enough for the light bolts. You know where this is going. So I go to take it off (not even bolted in) and my brother says "don't bother, I'll drill it through and won't come close to the bike" Well sure enough he taps it chips the paint to the fender. S.O.B all to save 5 seconds.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 PM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My story: I tried touching up my front fender with the HD touch up paint. It matched perfectly (black pearl), but I did not have the steady hand for the touch up. Ended up making it worse than it was with all my globs and smudges. Took it to a local body paint shop (same one the dealers use here locally) and they fixed it right up. Looked brand new when it was done. I wanted to hug the guy he did such an awesome job fixing my foul up. "Touch up" isn't as easy as it sounds (for me anyway) and for anything more than a nick, I'll be taking it to a pro.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 PM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ball point pin size chip . Ordered some touch up paint and clear .... I need to take it in

Old 01-01-2011, 12:46 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Touching up chips or scratches can be successful with touch up paint but you have to realize it is a PROCESS. With even a small chip I will apply three or four touches to it. Wait about 10 minutes between touches. Your goal is to slowly build it up to the original level of the remaining paint. I use a matchstick as a brush and when completely dry (the next day) rub it out gently with a decent swirl remover.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by kozy22
Has anyone had to use the H-D touch up paint? Does it match good or should I have the dealer do it.

I got about a 1/16th chip through the paint.

If you want a story:

So putting my softbrake on and I'm using bolts with LED's for the plate light. So I get the plate relocater on and then find out that the holes aren't big enough for the light bolts. You know where this is going. So I go to take it off (not even bolted in) and my brother says "don't bother, I'll drill it through and won't come close to the bike" Well sure enough he taps it chips the paint to the fender. S.O.B all to save 5 seconds.
Everything looks easy when you watch a pro do it.
"Basscatcher" hit the nail on the head. It's a process. Take you time. Remember that cleanliness is super important. Be sure to use a little wax and grease remover on the effected area. Be sure that there is no crud in the chip ... then paint on. A tooth pick or a matchstick is generally an excellent way to keep the paint only in the needed area. Remember that it is usually better to apply several dabs giving sufficent dry time between.