Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the forty eight tank swaps???

Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 AM
darkcustom48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why all the forty eight tank swaps???

I dont get everyone taking the 2.1 peanuts off there brand new bikes and swapping out for larger tanks. Dont get me wrong, I fully understand the personal preference behind customizing a bike and making it "your own". But to me the peanut tank is one of the features of the XL1200X that leves up to its name forty eight. Its kind of like the bikes signature feature. Would you buy a 883 iron and start chroming it out? This is just my opinion. I am fine with the ape hangers on the bike and continuing with the bobber look, but leave the tank alone. Stopping for gas every hour is no fun on a long haul, but its a small price to pay to have such a classic look. JMHO

Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 AM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont even have my 48 yet....but I have a Nightster tank that was custom painted already that I bought to put on it....I would have preferred to keep the 2.2.....but the price I paid for this one could not be passed up.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Nightster or Iron tank still allows the classic look, same tank only bigger. I prefer the look anyway, you don't see the rear mounting tab like you do on the 48, and the N still has a peanut on it. I am not a fan of the classic tank, but if I had a Forty Eight the first thing I would do is slap a Nightster tank on it. Thankfully, my Nightster came with one standard.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:42 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I would say it has a lot to due with the ugly decal on the tank, people figure they have to get the tank painted anyway so might just as well upgrade to a larger capacity while they are at it.
Looks wise I think it's fine as long as they stick with the 3.3 gallon peanut tank, I dont like the look of the bigger tanks on a 48 though.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

my 91sportie still has the 2.1 peanut tank on it along with the 5speed decal..

It is ergonomics...
The small tank makes you get off and gas up ,just before the vibrating thing erases your butt

Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Remember, the tiny tank is not the only distinctive feature of the 48. In reality, the large front wheel and tire combination is more distinctive then the tank. The Nightster/Iron tank is the same style "peanut" tank, just a little larger. Changing out for a tank that is more practical, but still retains the basic look, is no where similar to taking a Nightster/Iron and "chroming it out".

Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I would say it has a lot to due with the ugly decal on the tank, people figure they have to get the tank painted anyway so might just as well upgrade to a larger capacity while they are at it.
Looks wise I think it's fine as long as they stick with the 3.3 gallon peanut tank, I dont like the look of the bigger tanks on a 48 though.
I totally agree on that, too! Not to say that I am ashamed of our bike, but when people ask what kind of Harley it is, I tell them it is a Nightster. I would venture to guess that no 48 owners refer to their bike as a "Sportster" either. I don't understand H-D coming up with a new name for their bike, a new retro look, and nice, clean appearance, then messing both of those up with "Sportster" plastered all over it. Sort of like Lexus building a high end model and then painting "Toyota Corolla" on the side. There is nothing wrong with a Sportster, great bikes... but if you design something very different then why advertise it as the same model?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by heybaylor

It is ergonomics...
The small tank makes you get off and gas up ,just before the vibrating thing erases your butt
I have saved a TON on toilet paper! I just toss on a pair of old undies after going to the bathroom, then take the bike out for a quick ride around the block. Clean as a whistle!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM
TattedUp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
id rock out that tank decal if i had one, i think it gives it a old school flavor. plus the smaller tank gives you a reason to stop, get gas, and find a strip club!!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:07 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

i can see why you'd put a little bigger tank on the 48. putting the 3.3 gallon peanut tank on it still gives it the old school flavor. i do however think the 2.2 gallon tank is pretty sick too. i realize you'd have to stop more but i don' think it'd be that big of a deal you get to show off your bike too. everyone wants a harley! i too think the "sportster" decal on the 48 tank is cool, it is very old school.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why all the forty eight tank swaps???