Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Battery Question

Wife has a 2006 HD Softail Deluxe. I was looking at the Odyssey battery applications. Does the Softail Deluxe really need the MJ (Metal Jacket) due to heat?
Reason I ask is that I have the same Odyssey battery (PC545) in my Yamaha that I'm putting up for sale and just can't see giving away a 4 month old battery when it "may" exchange with my wife's Deluxe, only hers calling for the MJ.
What's your opinion (Odyssey PC545 vs's Odyssey PC545MJ) when using it in her Deluxe?

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc545series.htm

Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try it and get back to us... LOL. Why would you spend that kind of money when there is no need to? There are a wide assortment of less expensive batteries...$80 range... that are just as good as the Odyssey.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 AM
turboflyer
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will be fine. The MJ is for like off road rough stuff. If heat is an issue just put a heat reflective material around it. I doubt you will need it. And there are only a couple of batteries that come close to the quality of the Oddsey. The pc 680 I have now is in it 7th year of service. There are other AGM batteries that are cheaper but they are made cheaper as well. Your call.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 PM
karbar99
Club Member

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Try it and get back to us... LOL. Why would you spend that kind of money when there is no need to? There are a wide assortment of less expensive batteries...$80 range... that are just as good as the Odyssey.
I didn't give Retail price for the battery. I was able to get it with a group buy for @ $91 & some change delivered direct from the manufacturer.

Last edited by karbar99; 02-02-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
karbar99
Club Member

Originally Posted by turboflyer
You will be fine. The MJ is for like off road rough stuff. If heat is an issue just put a heat reflective material around it. I doubt you will need it. And there are only a couple of batteries that come close to the quality of the Oddsey. The pc 680 I have now is in it 7th year of service. There are other AGM batteries that are cheaper but they are made cheaper as well. Your call.
If I can get the life out of the Oddsey as they state and as you have, it's money well spent. The 2 yr warranty was a selling point too. Like you, I've apparently done my homework on other AGM batteries.

Last edited by karbar99; 02-02-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:04 AM
rbrapp1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use AGM batteries in all my bikes and am very satisfied. Just be careful who you buy it from. I bought one from Bikebatts.com and it failed at about 18 months. When I tried to get it exchanged he tried to sell me a higher price battery. I questioned the warranty and prorated amount and he got mad at me and said any further correspondences will be by email and hung up on me. I did not demand anything and he did not offer a reduction in shipping and did not question my using a battery tender. This is an email from the owner, "First, you did not follow recommended charging instruction. This most likely resulted in premature failure of the battery. None the less I said we would cover the battery under the warranty policy. In addition, I agreed to waive the requirement for you to return the battery. Third, I gave you a reduced rate for warranty shipping. Next, you wanted me to give you 50% credit for a product you did not purchase. Further, you stated the 50% credit for the product you did purchase was not enough. Then you accused me of being unreasonable. Think about what transpired through this conversation. Your dogmatic, unreasonable, insulting attitude left no room for further discussion. Thus, the end to the call.
I treat reasonable people in a reasonable way.
I hope someone else enjoys your business."
Tim

I took my business elsewhere.
Russ

Try Royal Battery Co., they have a two year warranty on Motobatts.
www.RoyalBattery.com