Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Shifter Peg after Footboard Extentions?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extended Shifter Peg after Footboard Extentions?

I just added some 1" Harley Goodies rider footboard extenders, which are great, but now I'm kinda thinking I might need a longer front shifter peg. Or maybe I'm just not used to reaching over so far with my foot yet. Muscle Memory? For those of you who installed the same (or similar) HG footboard extentions, did you feel the need to get a longer shifter peg?

Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 AM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet your toe shifter is installed on the inside? If the toe shifter is not reaching out far enough take both the toe and heel shifters off the shaft and install the heel first and then the toe on the outside.That should move it out far enough to solve your problem without needing a new peg.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Tek74
Tourer

Originally Posted by Oliver Clozoff
I bet your toe shifter is installed on the inside? If the toe shifter is not reaching out far enough take both the toe and heel shifters off the shaft and install the heel first and then the toe on the outside.That should move it out far enough to solve your problem without needing a new peg.
Correct.....my toe shifter is intalled on the inside. However, I removed the heel shifter before I even left the dealer with the new bike. So I guess my options are a longer shifter peg, or some sort of spacer behind the toe shifter, right?

Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Cme2c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shifter peg is plenty long for me. My heel shift is removed & my toe shift lever is back on the shaft in the factory position. You'll probably get used to it & if you remove the heel shift, your foot had all kinds of "wiggle room" on long trips.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:26 AM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Check this thread there were several guys that added spacers of some sort.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ake-pedal.html

Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Tek74
Tourer

Originally Posted by Oliver Clozoff
Check this thread there were several guys that added spacers of some sort.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ake-pedal.html
Thanks for the link. That helps.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Lass7711
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kuryakyn sells a longer shift peg. If you choose to keep the front and rear shifters, the longer peg in front makes both pegs about even.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the opposite problem, before the extentions, I felt my feet were cramped and the shifter peg kept getting in my way. Made some extentions, problem solved. Seems I'm used to pulling my toe inboard to shift, maybe cause my first bike was a pos dirt bike.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lass7711
Kuryakyn sells a longer shift peg. If you choose to keep the front and rear shifters, the longer peg in front makes both pegs about even.
+1 on this I have one on all 3 bikes. Think I bought them at the harley shop

Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Tek74
Tourer

They Kuryakyn Longhorn shifter peg is 5/8" longer than the factory shifter peg, which is 2" long. Since I moved the footboards out 1", I want an extended shifter peg that's at least 1" longer. I looked high and low yesterday and came across a black/chome one made by V-Twin Manufacturing for $25 shipped.

They offer one (#21-1665) that's 3.75" long, with an overall length of 4.5". So in the end, I'm gaining the 1" of peg length that I lost, plus an extra .75", which seems just about perfect. Once received and installed, I will report back with a short review. If it turns out to be too long, I'll probably give the Luryakyn Longhorn a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXTEN...item3364db591e

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Shifter Peg after Footboard Extentions?