Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

A Couple Trike Conversion Questions

Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts
Default A Couple Trike Conversion Questions

Never done a trike conversion before. Got a couple of questions. All input, thoughts, ideas welcomed!

I'm picking up a 2000 Dyna Wide Glide. Want to pull the 21" front wheel and put a wider 16 or 17" up front.

The trike will be used mostly for touring, pulling a pop-up tent trailer.

It has 32 degree rake stock, I have been looking at the bearing cups to get another 3 degrees, but have had some input that it would be better to get the additional rake using trees.

Is one way better than the other, and what degree rake would be best?

Have been looking at different fixed rear axles-

DNA
Frankenstein
Mystery

The DNA - but made in China

The other two are made in USA and a couple thousand more...they look much stouter, but I have not heard any complaints from those using the DNA axles.

Other options? Any experience with any of these axles?

Any and all input welcome.

TIA

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I would keep the 21" front wheel and not change the rake until I ride it with the stock front end and tire. ( you might find its not neded and would save you money ) Another member "Zood" on the forum here, has a 21" on his Electraglide and a rake kit with no handling issues using a taller tire and he pulls a trailer also. If you decide to rake the bike, My advice would be to go with a rake kit rather then cups. The stress added to the cups with a trike kit installed would wear the bearings out faster then using a raked tree kit. The cups put stress on one side of the bearing rather then around the diameter of the bearings. 4-5 degree rake should do what you need with going to a smaller diameter tire.

As for a suggestion for a rear end to use, the Frankinstein is a solid rear with a excellent reputation for quality and looks really sweet. I havent spoken with anyone who has used a Mystery design setup but Im sure they have a dependable setup.

One other to look at is Santiago trike kits. Ultimately its going to depend on what appeals to you both financially and asthetically.

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 02-18-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:54 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
My advice would be to hold off on the raking the front end of a wideglide until you ride it as a trike. The rake is longer with the wider front end and taller tire then a superglide or sportster with the 19" wheel . The rake kit can be easily insalled after you trike the bike

As for a suggestion for a rear end to use, the Frankinstein is a solid rear with a excellent reputation for quality and looks really sweet. I havent spoken with anyone who has used a Mystery design setup but Im sure they have a dependable setup.

One other to look at is Santiago trike kits. Ultimately its going to depend on what appeals to you both financially and asthetically.

Thanks for the ideas...sounds simple now, but I had not thought of waiting on the rake.

Talked to Santiago, they are using the DNA axle....they don't actually say it that way...they say that DNA is using their axle...in any case, they are the same.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Thanks for the ideas...sounds simple now, but I had not thought of waiting on the rake.

Talked to Santiago, they are using the DNA axle....they don't actually say it that way...they say that DNA is using their axle...in any case, they are the same.

I edited my response to give a little more detail to my input to your question.

Good luck in your pursuit for a trike kit. Its a daunting task to figure out which way to go with the choices.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I edited my response to give a little more detail to my input to your question.

Good luck in your pursuit for a trike kit. Its a daunting task to figure out which way to go with the choices.

Thanks for the additional details!

Anyone else with thoughts regarding my questions?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Never done a trike conversion before. Got a couple of questions. All input, thoughts, ideas welcomed!

I'm picking up a 2000 Dyna Wide Glide. Want to pull the 21" front wheel and put a wider 16 or 17" up front.

The trike will be used mostly for touring, pulling a pop-up tent trailer.

It has 32 degree rake stock, I have been looking at the bearing cups to get another 3 degrees, but have had some input that it would be better to get the additional rake using trees.

Is one way better than the other, and what degree rake would be best?

Have been looking at different fixed rear axles-

DNA
Frankenstein
Mystery

The DNA - but made in China

The other two are made in USA and a couple thousand more...they look much stouter, but I have not heard any complaints from those using the DNA axles.

Other options? Any experience with any of these axles?

Any and all input welcome.

TIA
Im running a 5.5 degree rake over stock with a 21" skinny avon and 2 inch over stock tubes. " wanted the ol school look" I have a really nice raked triple tree set up here that I didnt use. because I wanted to remount my bat wing fairing. You having a Dyna. There's no fairing issues.

Its USA made. This is the way to go instead of the cups.

zoood

Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd do the IMPORTANT stuff first....like decide on the kit and get that installed. You can always go back and alter your rake if you want to. The trike is not going to fall over and die with the stock rake. I'd kit it and ride it a while to see how it handles. Stock TG rake is 32 and I think you will be fine with the Dyna rake as-is.

The usual (and good) advice is to get that kit on and then decide if you want to make any other changes, such as a reverse or steeper rake, which you can do later. Don't get too many thoughts inside that head at one time. When you get as old as some of us are....you can't fit but one thought-at-a-time in there anyway.

Good luck on your kit choice.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Thanks!

Going to go ahead and install the trike axle, ride it a bit and see if I want more rake.

Appreciate the advice!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it would hurt to try it with the stock rake. I did and felt i needed a raked set of trees. That's only my opinion, tho. Many have agreed, yet some have been ok with the stock set up. What i did, was i went with a 7 degree rake setup from Pro ! and used +4 over tubes. Worked like a charm. i can let go at 80 mph and it tracks straight.

oh, yeah. The Frankenstein is freakin amazing. Is it the most comfortable ride? nope, but if you want a simple, bulletproof rear end you can't go wrong with a 'stein.

grimm

Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by grimm
I don't think it would hurt to try it with the stock rake. I did and felt i needed a raked set of trees. That's only my opinion, tho. Many have agreed, yet some have been ok with the stock set up. What i did, was i went with a 7 degree rake setup from Pro ! and used +4 over tubes. Worked like a charm. i can let go at 80 mph and it tracks straight.

oh, yeah. The Frankenstein is freakin amazing. Is it the most comfortable ride? nope, but if you want a simple, bulletproof rear end you can't go wrong with a 'stein.

grimm

Thanks for the info. Going to put it together, see how it rides, and be prepared to add some rake if needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Couple Trike Conversion Questions