Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV or Harley Race Tuner?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCV or Harley Race Tuner?

I am doing a stage one and converting my 2-1 into a 2-2 with rinehart slip ons and heavy breather.
I ordered the PCV and slip ons from Fuel Moto (who have been awesome as usual).
my dealer is going to put the 2009 catless 2-2 headers on for me...when i was talking to them about the PCV they said no way...go with the Harley Race Tuner as it self adjusts to different air density blah blah blah. They were saying that the fuel moto maps are designed with their temperatures and air density and that elevation and things like that effect the fuel management.
So my question is: is he right? or is the PCV self adjusting as well? I live in BC, Canada not sure if that matters.

Thanks,
Guys I'm a newbie with this stuff!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

No, they are not right and apparently don't understand how the Dephi ECU works. The PCV works downstream of the ECU, commonly referred to as a "piggyback" device, and uses all the functions of the ECU except the O2 sensors. Working in open-loop mode it utilizes the same sensors that SEST and other flash-based tuners use (MAP, intake air temp, front head temp), which adjust AFRs for environmental changes like altitude, humidity, etc. Thus, a PCV tuned in WI on a like-equipped bike will run the same as another in LA. To say that it won't is simply untrue.

The PCV (USB) is not designed to work with the NB O2 sensors in a late-model stock bike, but that is not a disadvantage. These are used only to keep AFRs within EPA compliance and mostly act as switches to keep AFRs at stoich (14.6:1) within their limited range, mostly only at idle and cruise.

Forget your dealer's uninformed advise, as they're probably just trying to sell you a $450 tuner that you don't need. If you did buy it you'd be out the money you spent on the PCV, then add even more for a dyno tune. Just have them install the mufflers and make sure you have the correct map in the PCV for your hardware. If you told them about the header mod you are set to go, but if not you should call Fuel Moto for an updated map.

Last edited by iclick; 02-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Rinehart on my 05 RKC and went with HD race tuner. I did not know it adjusted on the fly. Had it tuned and costs plenty. I bought a 2010 and again went with the Rineharts but went with Fuel Motto PC V and I am very pleased with the set up Jamie did before it arrived. Saved several hundred over the first way.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,695 Likes on 21,262 Posts

If this had been out a year ago I might have went with it, as opposed to the PC-V.

http://www.revperf.com/Precision/index.html

This is off their site;
Very easy to install
Improved throttle response
Improved fuel economy
’08-up TBW fully supported
Takes full advantage of the factory ECU
Maintains all OEM safeguards and features
Self adjusts when you upgrade other parts on the engine

However it is very expensive..
It is a like a PC-V, Auto tuner and Dyno wrapped into one for what it costs, like $800 bux, but it still beats the price of a over priced dyno.

I may go with this down the road and maybe in a year or two the price may come down.
In the interim though, my PC-V for my stage 1 runs flawlessly..
MPG could be a little better though, but then again I have a heavy hand at times.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Iclick thanks for the post it was very informative. I was kInd of figuring they were wrong. But being new with this stuf I wasn't sure

Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
Iclick thanks for the post it was very informative. I was kInd of figuring they were wrong. But being new with this stuf I wasn't sure
Can't go too far wrong if you follow Iclick's advice. I've read a lot of his posts and gotta say I agree with him 99% of the time.

Would sure be nice if you could say that about everything you read here.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with iclick. I'd also be interested in hearing how the dealer thinks the hd tuner can measure air density. Would be news to me seeing that the bike has no air flow sensing capabilities.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i had a pcv when they first came out a couple of years ago. canned maps just didn't dial it in properly. i ended up selling the pcv, and when doing the s.e. 103 build, the sepst came with the kit. i got it dialed in on the dyno and it works great. nothing against the pcv, i guess if i'd have gotten it tuned on the dyno it would have been okay. i prefer the sepst, but each to their own.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the HD tuner when I bought my 08. It is not the one that you can upgrade to the TTS. Dyno time is $90 per hour, takes about 5 hours or so. Now I'm changing cams and will have to do a dyno again. If I had it to do all over again, I believe I would go with the PC, and I may end up getting one anyway. (Jamie should give iclick his tuners for free, the advertising/information he has provided here is priceless IMO.)

Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 AM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with whatever your local tuner recommends......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCV or Harley Race Tuner?