Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD 103" Pro Stage IV Kit ??

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD 103" Pro Stage IV Kit ??

So I had my heart dead set on a 107 kit. With limited builders in my neck of the woods who have experience with this kit my dream started getting pretty complicated and costly to send heads and cylinders etc down to the US for boring and tweaking. Not to mention finding someone to install parts that were purchased elsewhere. Anyway I was a little frustrated with the realization that if I couldn't do this 107 myself it wasn't going to happen. So today I'm in the dealer poking around. We get chatting about service and performance etc. Well it turns out there are specials on all performance work if done before March 15th. Bottom line is I can get a hell of a deal on a 103" Pro Stage IV w/110+ heads & 260 cams.

Here are my questions....I've done some research on the 260's and they seem to come on a little late. Especially for a touring bike. Is there anything I can do to shift that torque curve over to the left a bit using this same cam? Is the 259E a better choice? Should I upgrade from the 110+ heads to the MVA heads? This kit does not include lifters...Is it suggested that I spring for the SE lifters? Obviously I am not a wizard when it comes to this stuff so your input is appreciated.

Here are the specs for the kit

screamin’ eagLe® Pro stage iV Kit – 103 cubic inches Here’s a 103 cubic inch racing kit that puts it all together for you. If your looking to build a fast, track-ready, 103 kit and want to buy all the components you need to maximize your results, here’s the kit! this eliminates the guess work on what components you should use and what works well together. We’ve put all the components together including Se perfor- mance heads that provide a great performance upgrade for a 103ci at a very attractive price. Kit includes our high- performance / high-flow Screamin’ eagle® Performance 110+ Heads which include large intake valves at 2.120" diam- eter (our biggest ever), high-compression forged aluminum 10.5:1 pistons matched to the 110+ heads, an Se260 cam to open the valves appropriately, allowing the right balance of air and fuel to enter, Perfect-Fit Pushrods to accommodate the higher cam lift, a 58mm eFI throttle body to get that air flow to the heads, big 3-7/8" diameter highlighted cylinders, then topping off this kit off with a “must have” Super tuner to provide the right tuning capabilities. Kit includes gaskets. for race application only.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 PM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'd definitely say that GENERALLY...that kit comes on a little on up the rpm range than is generally desired with a bagger...BUT...I know several folks with Street Glides that really like that kit....I generally think of this kit at a Softail/Dyna friendly kit.. A 259E or 211 would probably suit most bagger types better...

Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I would upgrade to the MVA's, they are an excellent head. A bit overkill on a 103 but should you decide to go bigger(113") in the future you are set for heads no problem. As far as the cams go, if you can get the dealer to swap, by all means get the 259e's. I used the 251's originally in mine(they made them to fit the 07 and later at one time) and they were pretty good. Use .030 head gaskets instead of the .045's that come with the kit. I also used the adjustable pushrods instead of the perfect fits. I re-used my stock lifters, no problems. I would also suggest you utilize a good 2-1 exhaust as well.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the 260 cams in my 113" HD kit and I have no regrets staying with it. Very easy to get going and the torque pull is good at 2000 rpms.
Make sure when you choose a canned map to start your tune, pick one that uses the 260 cam or the bottom end will be like a light-switch off idle.
Both dyno runs I had on my bike (one with the SEST, one with the TTS), the tuner's installed 264 cam timing profiles which absolutely killed the low end.

As long as your bike has low miles, stay with the stock lifters.

If you plan on leaving the engine as is after the build, the 110 heads are going to be fine for a 103.

As another member suggested, a 2 into 1 header will make the most out of your build. I would stay with 1 3/4" head pipes instead of 2" with the 103" to help with more bottom end.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:52 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain

Thanks for your input. I am in the process of trying to convince the dealer to swap out the 110+ heads for the MVA and a set of the 259E's and .030 Head Gaskets.

Does this sound like a good combo?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i've got the part # 27544-10 stage 4 kit, with the 10.5:1 forged pistons, 259-E cams, sepst, heavier clutch spring, the whole kit, and i added the s.e. compensator, V&H 2 into 1 pro pipe, along with the zippers deeper air cleaner element, and this is a great combination. the 255's seem to develop great torque at low rpm's but fall off about when things start getting interesting. they seem to be the flavor of the day though. the 259-E's on the other hand, pull like crazy from idle through red line at 6200 with no dip at all. a very quick rise of torque and it holds there till you hit the rev limiter if you choose to do so. i could have likely picked up a few more hp and ft lbs of torque with better heads, but this kit was designed for using the stock heads, and they flow plenty good enough. the 50% rise in horsepower and torque makes me very happy with the build. be sure you get the compression releases and better torrington/timken cam bearings put in while your motor is apart. far cheaper to do it now than realize you really need the compression releases. when the weather is hot and humid, and your bike is hot, you'll see why you need them. hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 PM
FUZZY
Tourer

Originally Posted by emwolb
i've got the part # 27544-10 stage 4 kit, with the 10.5:1 forged pistons, 259-E cams, sepst, heavier clutch spring, the whole kit, and i added the s.e. compensator, V&H 2 into 1 pro pipe, along with the zippers deeper air cleaner element, and this is a great combination. the 255's seem to develop great torque at low rpm's but fall off about when things start getting interesting. they seem to be the flavor of the day though. the 259-E's on the other hand, pull like crazy from idle through red line at 6200 with no dip at all. a very quick rise of torque and it holds there till you hit the rev limiter if you choose to do so. i could have likely picked up a few more hp and ft lbs of torque with better heads, but this kit was designed for using the stock heads, and they flow plenty good enough. the 50% rise in horsepower and torque makes me very happy with the build. be sure you get the compression releases and better torrington/timken cam bearings put in while your motor is apart. far cheaper to do it now than realize you really need the compression releases. when the weather is hot and humid, and your bike is hot, you'll see why you need them. hope this helps.

I agree. Be sure to get SE compensator & compression releases. Also Screamin' Eagle® Premium Tapered Quick-Install Adjustable Pushrods.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain

Well they are picking up my bike tomorrow. Still don't know the combo we're gonna do. The service manager is gonna call me before they start the work. We'll see. Think I have my mind set on the 259E with the MVA but we'll see. There are some pretty good reviews on the 260's here on the forum.....

Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 AM
VEHLAon48
Advanced

so how u go Bro?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain

Went with the 260 cams in the 103", 110+ heads, 10.5 pistons, 58 mm TB, high flow injectors, auto comp releases, screaming eagle ventilator a/c, screaming eagle pro super tuner, thunder header. Dynoed at 110/110. Personally I love it. Torque curve is more to the right than some prefer but it works very well for me and my riding style. The thing absolutely screams.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD 103" Pro Stage IV Kit ??