Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Vance and Hines baffles???

Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Matheny27
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Vance and Hines baffles???

I have a 00 deuce with a screamin eagle 95 with a heavy breather and vance and hines straight shots. I'm wanting it to be louder but was wondering if it would affect the power or the way it ran if i remove the baffles. I'm sure someone has removed theirs before. Just looking for opinions.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't removed mine, V&H staggered short shots, but I'm pretty sure your performance will be affected, and not for the better.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no mechanic but i know my way around a wrench..and a wench, but i wouldn't call her that to her face... anywho.. if you take the baffles out my understand is that you're lowering the back-pressure that they create within the pipe, therefore lowering the backpressure that the engine needs in order to keep that piston firing the way it should..so yes your performance will be affected.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 PM
gregski
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out Big City Thunder baffles. I put them in my Big Shots Staggered and absolutely love them. Improved performance and they sound great.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool baffles

I actually put the QUIET baffles in my V&H short shots on my Nightster and I ran better with more torque . . . .

JMHO

Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 PM
CANTDR55
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have straight shots, all you do is pull the pipes off at the half way point and underneath you'll see a hex bolt. That's all that holds the baffle in. I put in the Big city thunder quiet baffles. Here's link to youtube of before and after. Sound doesn't do justice in video almost sounds the same but the Big city baffles give it a deeper mellow sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qwc7a4frc

Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried it without the baffles... was louder but to high pitched and my gas mileage and my low range torque dropped off quite a bit. I bought some ceramic wrap to do the baffles and put them back in... sounds great and runs tip top.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default pipes

i was running vance and hines duels i removed the baffles and my bike ran like crap especially at low rpm had a lot of hesitation. You need the back pressure i was told most fuel injected bike run better with baffles. i put the quiet baffles in with out the packing and i was able to get the sound i wanted.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 AM
JPL
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought the original BCT baffles myself... SHould be gettin them on this weekend.. I will try to post a video with the original vance and hines baffle (Ones that come with the pipes) and then the video with the Original BCT baffles. Hopefully I will get the videos up on Sunday.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Leave them in. Previous owner of my bike took them out. It sounded terrible, especially when rolling off the throttle. Fortunately the baffles were included with the box of take off parts I got with the bike. I put them back in and while it didn't really quiet it down, it made the sound deeper and it runs much better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Vance and Hines baffles???