Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker DD6

Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Baker DD6

I installed a DD6 about 5K ago. Since I installed it I have a noise in the primary. The DD6 comes with a REAL big motor sprocket of 28 teeth. I am using the supplied primary shoe and check alignment when I installed everything. A couple of weeks ago I pulled everything out of the primary and could not find anything wrong or any where the chain was hitting but still have the noise.

Today I put it on the rack and moved the shoe up one notch, which made the chain way to tight but thought I would see how it sounded with the chain tight. The noise went away but the chain was as tight as a guitar string. So I moved it back down one notch and the noise came back.

I hate noise so much I have run the stock mufflers since new and now have all most 85K on it. I like lessening to my stereo. LOL Any one else have this problem with the DD6 and any suggestions?

Baker says not to run a automatic chain adjuster and even thaw most have not had problems with them I have read about some who have had problems with them. I guess if I cannot find a solution I will just have to live with the noise. I guess it will not hurt as I have put about 5K on it like it is.

I have a very short road trip coming up of about 500 miles round trip.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
46u
Road Warrior

OK here is the deal. I just got off the phone with Mark at Baker. He told me that they have come across times with the same problem I have not often but on occasions. If I adjust the chain where it is too tight the noise goes away and if I back it off one notch the chain is just loose enough that you get some chain slap do to the big motor sprocket in the kit. He all so said you might not even be able to find evidence where the chain is hitting but will be just enough to make noise.

Do to them coming across this problem on occasions they make a fine tooth adjuster where you have adjustments that are half as much as one notch on the stock adjuster. Being I have been out of a steady job for going on two years buying this is not the easiest thing to do but Mark did make me a decent deal on one so I ordered it. Will keep all posted on how it works out.

Not surprising as if there is an oddity I will come across it! LOL

Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 AM
46u
Road Warrior

Well the fine tooth adjuster Baker sold me and said would fix my problem it did not. I have been riding and working on Harley s none stop for 40 years many of those years as my living. I have had many a head scratchier but this problem takes the cake. Just glade it is on my bike and not a customer.

I have had everything out of the primary MANY times. I have done everything Baker suggested and still have the noise. I even went so far as to put the stock primary chain, adjuster and sprocket in and when I do this I have no noise. I have checked the stator and rotor to make sure the magnets are not coming loose or the stator loose. I have checked chain alignment. Primary main shaft bearing is fine.

James at Baker said they install a lot of transmissions at bike events and sometimes the customer comes back with primary noise and they move the adjuster up one notch. If I do this, the chain is WAY to tight. Have to wonder how many they send out with the chain to tight going by my experience?

At Baker they keep telling me the chain is hitting somewhere. With it cold as we know when a primary chain gets hot it gets tighter. With the cover off not running I have tried to push the chain and I cannot get it to hit anywhere. I turned the motor over checking it at all points. When doing this, the chain adjustment varies no more then 1/8 of an inch. At this point I do not think it is the chain. I am starting to wonder if I got a Baker sprocket that was manufactured wrong? If where not for my situation I would buy anther one just to try it.
Here is a link to a video with all the noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S1an8uMENY

Last edited by 46u; 03-19-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure exactly the noise but you say seems to be hitting something.
So not a bearing groule or rumble I figure.

Check this:

On the front of the primary cover, at the inside bottom, at the area where the engine throws the chain slack, is there a bolt boss there on your bike? The first bolt boss, on the bottom front, as the chain comes around.
This boss is inside the cover.

On my 08, 96 my chain was hitting there. Both the inside and outside cover just a little. Had to clearance there.

But that was with the new big front sproket. But you did say Baker has a big motor sproket.

Just a though.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 03-20-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If everything else in your drive-train is stock, your current overall gearing is 2.81:1, which is way too high IMHO. To put things into perspective I replaced the stock 25T on my Dyna for a SE 21T, which gave me overall 3.75:1. I cannot see the justification for a 28T and recommend you chuck it asap!

You have an even number of teeth on both compensator and clutch, 28T and 36T respectively, which is not good practice. Fit an odd number on the compensator, to break up harmonics in your chain. Even 27T is high and I would fit a 25T at maximum, but a 23T would really wake up your ride.

Evos had a 37T clutch sprocket, which is a prime number. That ensures there can be no harmonics in the drive chain. Who ever replaced it on TCs with a 36T obviously didn't know what he was doing!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM
46u
Road Warrior

AS stated in my original post I installed a Baker DD6. What I have in the primary as far as motor sprocket, primary chain and chain adjusting shoe is what comes in ALL Baker DD6 builders kit. When Harley went to a 6 speed they put a smaller rear pulley on there bikes to give it a higher gearing. Baker does it with the motor sprocket. Most but not all 6 speeds in 6th gear is still one to one. The higher gearing comes from either final drive rear wheel pulley or in Bakers case the motor sprocket so gearing is not a problem. Lesson to the video does not sound like harmonics vibration to me.

Last edited by 46u; 03-31-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:17 PM
46u
Road Warrior

One other thing I have had the cover off abut 10 times and everything out of the primary about 6 times and I cannot find any evidence of anything hitting anywhere.
Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 46u
AS stated in my original post I installed a Baker DD6. What I have in the primary as far as motor sprocket, primary chain and chain adjusting shoe is what comes in the Baker DD6 builders kit. When Harley went to a 6 speed they put a smaller rear pulley on there bikes to give it a higher gearing. Baker does it with the motor sprocket. Most but not all 6 speeds in 6th gear is still one to one. The higher gearing comes from either final drive rear wheel pulley or in Bakers case the motor sprocket so gearing is not a problem.
I am well aware of all that, but you are looking to cure your noise! I am suggesting the source of it is the even number of teeth on both compensator and clutch. That is bad practice IMHO!

You've spent some time with this and I suggest you try an alternative size of compensator, with an odd number of teeth.

Your bike also suffers from cripplingly high overall gearing, so fewer teeth may solve the noise problem, also give you improved performance. I've made my suggestions. Baker hasn't come up with a solution and my suggestion may not cure things for you, but I have offered you a fresh view.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:46 PM
46u
Road Warrior

I would not call it crippling high gearing as do to the way the transmission is made with the gearing in first gear is very close to stock ratio. The reason HD and Baker went to a 6 speed is so you could have higher final gearing but the first five gears would get you there with out putting the strain on anything while getting to high gear. Similar to big trucks I would think and why they have so many gears. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I do appreciate all input but do not think the gearing is the problem besides that a 27th sprocket is $150 and in my situations is not feasible at the moment. Have not had a steady job in 2 years. May others are running the same gearing with out a problem. But I have seen stranger things.
Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,162 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by 46u
Many others are running the same gearing with out a problem.

If you put a wooden hammer handle against the starter shaft, and hold it while someone else cranks it ...you can run it with the primary cover off and "see" where the noise is coming from. My bet is you can do some minor clearance work inside the primary and be smiling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Baker DD6