EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Carb and VOES

Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
cwhite6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb and VOES

The motor I am looking at buying comes with a S&S Super G carb and manifold installed. They test run and time the engines before shipment. My tank is an aftermarket one piece smooth tank. My question is this, I am not going to be using the HD petcock on this bike. I will most probably be using a Pingle or similar. I am guessing I just have to have the vacuum line on the carb plugged to use this. I want to avoid the VOES system and Pingle says it is not needed with their petcocks. Anyone ever do this and cap off the VOES system?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only capped / removed the portion of the vac line going to the petcock when I installed the Pingel...I still use the VOES.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
cwhite6
Tourer

Originally Posted by mtnlvr
I've only capped / removed the portion of the vac line going to the petcock when I installed the Pingel...I still use the VOES.
Pardon my ignorant question, but what else is connected to the VOES? This bike will NOT have a stock Harley wiring harness as it is being built from the ground up. It will most probably be using the Ultima wiring harness where everything is consolidated into one small box. The wiring schematic for this harness does not show a VOES switch.

Last edited by cwhite6; 03-14-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM
dan1911
Advanced

Most aftermarket ign systems, Dyna, Ultima, give you the option of using the V.O.E.S. or selecting an advance curve that provides advance built in. As far as the stock petcock, it uses vacum from the V.O.E.S. to operate, but you can use an aftermarket petcock, plug the vac. line and the V.O.E.S. will still funtion.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Since you don't need either the VOES, or the thank valve vacuum, I would just plug it at the carburator.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The VOES can help prevent detonation and doesn't really hurt street performance. It is cheap insurance for your engine with the direction todays fuels are going. There are two wires on the VOES switch, one goes to the wire from the ignition, the other goes to ground. Set the vacuum switch to 7 inches of vacuum and you should be fine. Hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM
cwhite6
Tourer

Originally Posted by miacycles
The VOES can help prevent detonation and doesn't really hurt street performance. It is cheap insurance for your engine with the direction todays fuels are going. There are two wires on the VOES switch, one goes to the wire from the ignition, the other goes to ground. Set the vacuum switch to 7 inches of vacuum and you should be fine. Hope this helps.
Another ignorant question, where is this switch located? I looked in my parts manual, but I must have overlooked it. Anyone got a picture of this sucker?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM
kelhogan
Advanced
Default Confused

Just following this thread I have a 1994 Road king, I have been messing with the carb. The previous owner had capped the voes near the petcock and installed a golan (similar to pingel) but left the voes connected on the carb. Recently I took apart the carb apart and put a plug on the voes connection on the carb. Unplugged the voes and stripped the entire thing from the top motor mount. I figured the Voes had allready been disconnected from the petcock and capping at the carb shouldnt change anything????

Is this ok?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Put it back, the voes controls your higher rpm advance.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

As stated VOES controls the ignition advance. The connection to the fuel petcock is because the older style petcocks were vacuum operated if there was no vacuum there was no fuel. It was a early attempt at an automatic petcock but caused major flooding of the engine when the vacuum seal failed.

If your running an aftermarket ignition you can set most to accept the VOES input or to use one of the canned advance curves without it. I will be using it on my EVO build as a safety measure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carb and VOES