General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

proper piston ring break-in procedure

Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 PM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default proper piston ring break-in procedure

this coming straight from hastings, the manufacturer of almost all rings out there.
BREAK-IN PROCEDUREBackSTARTING PROCEDURE
1. Set tappets, adjust carburetor and ignition timing as accurately as possible before starting engine.
2. Start engine and set throttle to an engine speed of approximately 25 miles per hour (trucks, tractors and stationary engines one-third throttle) until the engine coolant reaches normal operating temperature. Then shut down engine and retorque cylinder head bolts, recheck carburetor adjustments, ignition timing and valve tappet clearance. (Run engine at fast idle during warm-up period to assure adequate initial lubrication for piston rings, pistons and cylinders.)
BREAK-IN PROCEDURE
1. Make a test run at 30 miles per hour and accelerate at full throttle to 50 miles per hour. Repeat the acceleration cycle from 30 to 50 miles per hour at least ten times. No further break-in is necessary. If traffic conditions will not permit this procedure, accelerate the engine rapidly several times through the intermediate gears during the check run. The object is to apply a load to the engine for short periods of time and in rapid succession soon after engine warm up. This action thrusts the piston rings against the cylinder wall with increased pressure and results in accelerated ring seating.
BackSTARTING

Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if rings installed right no breakin just ride

Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

And this was posted, why???

Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good question. We are told by all motorcycle manufacturers and car manufacturers to break new motors in like they are newborn infants. Then there is this guys breakin procedure, in which he explains pretty well why to break in hard. Rings can be installed right but that is no gaurantee they are going to set right.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 03-25-2011, 02:11 AM
BBBSS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start it up, let it idle a few seconds then run it ***** out for a lil bit. Rings will seat well, and you will get the most HP out of the motor. May shave a LITTLE off the life of the motor. The pressure from the combustion forces the rings out and makes them seat nicely.

I'm sure someone will be here shortly to say I'm nuts and you need to baby it for hundreds of miles.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 AM
woodworking1
Road Master

I could write out the entire process as described by Zippers for my new top end build, but it is very lengthly. It involves running the motor in 10 sec. intervals with adequate time for cooling in between. Something like 4 10 sec. runs, 4 25 sec runs, 2 45 sec runs, 2 90 sec runs, then change oil and ride gently for the first few hundred.
Their quote "pistons do not die, they are KILLED"

Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Get this chit...

First bike tear down for me...hell I didn't know!!

Did a geardrive / big bore project. Asked my machinist about break in proceedure....

Was told to start it up, bring it to 2.2k rpm and let it run for 20 minutes...just make sure ya got big box fans on it. ?????HUH??????
Yep...asked three differrent times over a week. Same explaination each time.

Figgured what the Hell...they do this for a living, and I've spent my cash with them...gotta go with their method. Followed those instructions to a "T."
When the owner of the shop found out what I'd done, he had concerns (to say the least)...seems I had received some missinformation. Got a personal call from him almost immediately. He 'splained that you want heat cycles (more than just ONE.) Said that if anything was hurt, they'd make it right.

Gotta say that she runs like a beast.(compared to stock) Got 1k on it in the last 2 weeks. Have a turner lined up to dial her in...gonna be about 2 weeks. He told me he'd check the integrity of the engine (comp check / leakdown test), to make sure of no issues.

All this just goes to show that these really are tough motors!!!
Just sayin'

Beav

Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The "Motoman" breakin 30-50mph runs on a new motor is bullshit IMO. I heat cycle my engines for the first 100-200 miles 20-30 minutes running then complete cool down then 20-30 minutes and so on. Oil changes at 100/500/1000.

Never any leaks, excellent cyl pressures and never uses any oil.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Of the dozen or so new motorcycles I've had since I was a kid, and several new cars also, I've never "broken in" a motor. Never. I'm not about to start now. That "keep it below 50 for the first 500 miles" is BS. Doesn't help your motor last longer. Well, it kind of does. It takes longer for you to put any miles on it.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

hmm.. well, I bought my bike from a dealer 90 miles away and just rode it home normally brand spanking new. I kept to back roads and town roads to avoid running at highway speeds for a long period.

That's about it.

16K miles and no issues apparent.

this is like the synth/dino debate... ask 10 people that work on engines for a living and you will likely get 10 somewhat different answers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: proper piston ring break-in procedure