EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary Leak

Old 03-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Nate88hd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Leak

I just purchased this bike on the 7th. knowing it had a primary leak. The previous owner had it serviced and said they put to much primary fluid in and it and it should weep out until levels are back to normal. So I took a look in the inspection plate and fluid came running out. [said to self"self we got to much damn fluid "]I didnt buy the hole weeping out story so I went to the local shop and explained. He said the seals to my final drive are shot. I have done work to all my bikes before just never owned a Harley.

I'm going to replace all the seals in my primary I've ordered a complete set from bike bandit. Was wondering if there are any tips that would be helpful other than specified in the service manual. Any tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated

Is it true that to much primary fluid could blow a seal?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate88hd
I just purchased this bike on the 7th. knowing it had a primary leak. The previous owner had it serviced and said they put to much primary fluid in and it and it should weep out until levels are back to normal. So I took a look in the inspection plate and fluid came running out. [said to self"self we got to much damn fluid "]I didnt buy the hole weeping out story so I went to the local shop and explained. He said the seals to my final drive are shot. I have done work to all my bikes before just never owned a Harley.

I'm going to replace all the seals in my primary I've ordered a complete set from bike bandit. Was wondering if there are any tips that would be helpful other than specified in the service manual. Any tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated

Is it true that to much primary fluid could blow a seal?
Are you talking about the gaskets? It has 3 gaskets,primary cover,inspection and derby cover. I would suggest buying your primary cover gasket at the dealer, it'll be handed to you as a flat gasket that's a breeze to install. If you order that gasket online it will be folded up and you will have to rtv it on, better chance for a leak.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure the cylinder base gasket isn't leaking instead. I've had it happen and thought it was the primary. Sometimes when a cylinder base gasket is leaking, it will drip oil off the bottom of the primary when the bike is leaning on the kickstand. Not saying that's what it is, but something to look at.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

First thing to do is clean it up ALL over the primary side, insure that the proper amount of oil is in it, and take a visual on whats leaking. Then make a decision on a repair. The seals are in the inner primary and thats a job to do.

If the inspection cover you removed was the oval one then oil would have gushed out even if it had the proper amount.

Unless you laid the bike on its side you really can't overfill the primary. Give that some thought.

Last edited by V-Twins & Bowties; 03-13-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Agree with the previous post.Your level is checked thru the Derby(round) cover.Make sure your drain plug(located on the bottom off the primary case,below the derby, isn't leaking as well.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:22 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 95 Ultra
Be sure the cylinder base gasket isn't leaking instead. I've had it happen and thought it was the primary. Sometimes when a cylinder base gasket is leaking, it will drip oil off the bottom of the primary when the bike is leaning on the kickstand. Not saying that's what it is, but something to look at.
I've got the tiniest of weeps at my rear cylinder base. I'm almost afraid to ask what kinda job this is gonna be!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by #1rocketman
I've got the tiniest of weeps at my rear cylinder base. I'm almost afraid to ask what kinda job this is gonna be!
It's pretty much the same procedure as a top end rebuild. If it's not bad I'd ignore it till you get enough miles for a ring job. It'll probably not get much worse.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:54 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mike T
It's pretty much the same procedure as a top end rebuild. If it's not bad I'd ignore it till you get enough miles for a ring job. It'll probably not get much worse.
Mike,that's pretty much what I was thinkin. From wash to wash,there isn't much there.But it does seem to be from both rear corners. This past summer,we tried to retorque the studs in hoping we might find the studs were a tad loose for specs but they were pretty much right there.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
BigD48
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nate88HD: I don't think that too much fluid would blow a seal. Most likely it would cause drag on the clutch. It is possible that the seal between the inner primary and the tranny main shaft leaking. If so, to fix that you would have to remove the clutch, clutch hub primary chain, etc. Pulling the clutch hub involves buying a special tool unless you make your own. I'd check the other stuff mentioned first.

Stan

Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,477 Likes on 4,602 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twins & Bowties
First thing to do is clean it up ALL over the primary side, insure that the proper amount of oil is in it, and take a visual on whats leaking. Then make a decision on a repair. The seals are in the inner primary and thats a job to do.

If the inspection cover you removed was the oval one then oil would have gushed out even if it had the proper amount.

Unless you laid the bike on its side you really can't overfill the primary. Give that some thought.
The lube will not gush out of the primary inspection cover if the lube is at the correct level.

You can certainly overfill the primary. If you fill it up to the lip of the opening of the derby cover, it is overfilled. The lube should only be to the bottom of the clutch, which is below the opening.

Attached Thumbnails Primary Leak-dsc03336cc-copy-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-13-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Primary Leak