EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Valve Stem oil seal leak.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 AM
tc
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question Valve Stem oil seal leak.

Hi,
As some will know I did a recent top end re-build to cure a leaking base gasket and also fitted an EV27 cam.
All went ok and am delighted with result, but I noticed that while bike is idling on tickover it is smoking on both cylinders.
I recently removed the air filter and opened throttle fully and when I looked through carb, (S&S Super E) noticed that there was some oil in the in-take manifold.
I presume that the only way that the oil can get there is down the valve guides, hence I assume the valve stem oil seals are giving problems.
Unfortunately, this was the only part of the job that I did not do myself as I did not have a valve spring compressor and left seals with machine shop to fit after he re-seated valves.
My question is, can I just do a head job, ie, remove heads and fit new valve seals WITHOUT removing cylinders and fitting new base gaskets, will the ones there now be ok?
Thanks,

Tony.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:18 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's see the original engine had enough miles on it to do the top end, and a machine shop did the valves. Did they replace any valves or guides??? If they were worn and not replaced that could give you problems. Valve stems can wear and have varnish build-up. Both of these can cause seals to fail. If the seals were instaled without using the protective sleeve can cause seals to leak. If the heads aren't draining oil properly that can cause problems.
These are just a few of the problems that can cause the symptoms you have. Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:54 PM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

There is no way your going to look into the throat of a carburator and see valve guide seals leaking. Unless someone has Superman X-Ray vision.

More than likely your seeing oil from the crankcase breather/s accumulating in the manifold.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 250 Posts

Did you time the breather correctly when you fitted the cam?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 AM
M&D88FXSTC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my GUESS would be the new higher lift cam is causing the valves to travel beyond the worn spot where the seal previously ummm sealed lol. if that makes any sense

id think a reputable machine shop would've suggested new valves if they were that worn... but thats me thinkin out loud...

it may wear itself in, may get worse, Id just ride it a while n see unless its a smoke screen behind you.
just my

Last edited by M&D88FXSTC; 04-05-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
tc
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default New problem

Thanks for replies.
V-Twins and Bowties, I think you have it wrong. Engine is not running when I look through carb. For want of a better description, there is a "puddle" of oil in the manifold after running motor.
I am inclined to do as the the last post suggests, ie, ride bike for awhile. There is no smoke screen as it only smokes while idleing.
Another problem has reared its head. I seem to have a regulator problem now as after running bike for about 80 miles and stopping for coffee, it would not start and we had to jump start it.
After another 20 miles or so it started far*ting and missing like mad, so I turned ign switch to lights off position and it ran fine till I got home.
Charged battery overnight and disconnected it and left sand for 2 days without a drop in voltage and bike turned over ok, so it appears battery is all right.
While running, voltage across battery is only 12.6v and I believe it should be between 13.8 and 15volts for my bike. (1986 FLSTC).
Do you think my reasoning is correct?
I hope this is not a sign of things to come.....................
Thanks,
Tony.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like the regulator, but could be the alternator also. You can check your A/C ouput at the alternator plug. If it is OK it is probably the regulator. Mine went belly up last year, and you really don't know when it quits without an idiot light. Even my old 84 Iron Head Sportster had a charge light on the generator.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

i know when our 05 twincam started having valve seal probs. it showd oil all over the threads of the plugs.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Thats my thought also. If the valve seals were leaking it would show up in the exhaust. Not the intake. Sounds to me like when the vapor vent line to the carb gets oil in it. It could be the umbrella vent valves in the head are bad. If your valve seals were leaking, you should see a lot of smoke when you decelerate. Are you sure it is oil smoke, or could it be gas from being to rich. Just a few thoughts.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a valve stem is on a tire...how can it leak oil? lol.