Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED windshield trim Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED windshield trim Electrical

Hi all, I recentley purchased one of these and I'm having problems hooking it up. When I go to turn on the blinker, the blinker I turn on will blink normal but there's a little bit of juice running through the opposite side I turn on whick makes that side blink also. So in other words when I turn the left blinker (or right) on it will flash normal but the right one will flash oppsite of the left one. I hooked up a volt meter and theres a little juice running throught the blinker wire which is just enought power to flash the l.e.d. It measure roughly .7 of a volt.

I'm looking fo something I could wire in-line that will only allow a higher voltage to pass through, but stop the little voltage thats causing it to flash the opposite side blinker I turn on. Hope this makes sence.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:15 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

It sounds to me like a bad ground connection. Trailer lights often do that when they haven't been used for a while and corrosion builds up in the harness. Take the connections apart, and make sure connections are shiny and clean, put connectors back together and try again.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer

Thanks for the reply. I have tried multiple grounds. No matter where I ground it, it still does it. Stock blinker harnesses look shiny and clean. Some reason I have a little bit of voltage running through the opposite blinker harness that I have turned on. If I unplug one of the blinker harnesses the blinker will work just fine. Just not when they're both plugged in. Grrrr

Old 04-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have LED's at the turn signals? I ask because there is a problem when running the LED's and this trim piece. Badlands is supposed to have an updated RTB module to fix the issue, but I havent contacted them yet.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:35 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer

I replaced the stock turn signals with Kuryakyn Silver Bullets. Those will act as highway lights. I wanted to eliminate the stock blinkers and move them up to the led windshield light bar.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:01 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer

Just tried a different led bar from my dealer, and the same thing is happening. I'm in dyeing need for some help. Light bar is ruled out...

Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
bikehe
Tourer

I'm not familiar with how these things are wired up but is it possible to put a small diode in series with the supply to each turn circuit on the light bar. There might also be a problem with the internal circuitry of the bar and Im guessing that if the diode solves the problem then the light bar may be at fault. Try hooking one side up direct to a battery and see if the other side lights up. Hope this may be of some help

Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out what Led electric windshield trim is.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Hitnhard, I installed a set of Kuryakyn LED turn signal mirrors, and they came with a load equalizer. I installed them without the load equalizer, and they worked fine, as did my signals, so I never used it. Here's the link:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/in...-26HD-1110.pdf

I don't know if this helps or not, or what the heck the load equalizer does for sure.

yljkt, you can buy a chrome windshield trim piece that fits on the fairing at the base of the windshield. A couple of years ago Harley came out with trim with LED's in them that can be used as blinkers. They also have one with mirrors on the end.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 04-08-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Try sticking a small Diode in series. Your getting bleed by past the LED's into the circuit. A diode placed in the correct way should stop that. Has to do with the grounding and flashing of the circuit. If that works then just leave it in, shrink wrap it up and on your way you go. There should be no need for equalizers as long as you are still running the filament blinkers up front.

Quick Reply: LED windshield trim Electrical