Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 03:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is the best EFI tuner with no crazy modifications

When looking for a new EFI tuner there could be a lot of information out there that is difficult to wrap your head around. Users give their opinion of what is the best tuner out there that doesn't have too many bells and whistles for a decent price.

Read the full discussion below for more information
Print Wikipost

Best tuner ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
83efi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best tuner ?

Looking to get an EFI tuner. No crazy mods, but want the best tuner for the money. I started to research it but it just got out of hand and now my head is spinning. Some use the O2s, some dont. Can anyone sum it up in laymans terms and send me in the right direction? Thanks.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
BlueBobber07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to get interesting. I'm running a PCIII that is dyno tuned. Runs good but I wonder if there's more. I've been reading good reviews on the Thundermax system and think I night give that a try.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 PM
83efi
Cruiser

One other thing, right now im not looking to spend a bunch of money getting it dyno tuned. I know its the best route to take, but with mild mods I dont see it necessary yet.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the SEPST, it can be had for around $500 with the cable and software.
It future proofs one should you choose to make mechanical changes down the road.
It also allows you to load a map to accomodate pipes-air cleaner, and then do real time tweeking from there, without having to dyno.
I figured it money well spent, versus a couple hundred here, a couple hundred there, on the various "tuners", and then having to go that route should I opt for the 103" upgrade.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I am running a Fuel Pack from Vance and Hines on my bike. It was already installed by the original owner when I bought the bike last year. It works well with a stock motor and it is easy to setup. If I was going to purchase another one I would be leaning towards a Thunder Max also with the Auto Tune. I have been hearing a lot of good things about the Thunder Max and it is definitely more versatile than my Fuel Pack. The Fuel Pack while it does work well it can be more difficult to tune. It has a numerous maps that can be set but if you require a custom map, well good luck with that as you will need to call Vance and Hines and hope that hey can help you. The Thunder Max is designed to be tunable and you can create custom maps as needed to work with what ever setup you have. Another good tuner is the Power Commander. There is a forum sponsor called Fuel Moto. I have never used them and this is no endorsement but other members have used them for their tuners and they seem to have good things to say about him. You might want to reach out to them and perhaps they can help you out. I know that this whole efi and tuner stuff can get pretty confusing rather quickly...Good Luck...

The following users liked this post:
Recon Danny (07-31-2022)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know nothing about them or exactly what they heck they do but I was told I would need one with my winter build. Lucked out and found one on ebay that was ending in 15 minutes so I Bid $250.00 shipped and won it.

Damn thing was killing me just setting on the shelf in the Sealed Box and I couldn't see what the heck I bought.

Anyhow the tech asked about the SE Tuner and he told me I got lucky and bought an earlier version and something about it was better than what HD has out now.

Screamin Eagle Part # 32109-08B EFI Super Tuner S.E. Pro

I guess when I get the 1000 miles on the SB and it goes back to the Dyno I can see what the heck the tech does with the darn thing.

Karsten

Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 PM
brennanmg
Intermediate

I run the ThunderMax with Autotune. If you are looking for inexpensive then this is not for you. It runs around 800. I spent a year in Afghanistan saving up some $$$ for it. As for performance, I love it. It suits my needs perfectly and it makes AFR adjustments on the fly for me. I researched the hell out of all the options and if you want my opinion, it is more personal preference and how u r willing to spend.

Recon Danny (07-31-2022)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Comingapart
Cruiser

I went with the Daytona Twin Tech II, mainly for cost reasons. Fairly easy installation and I'm very happy with it. You do have use o2 sensor eliminators to get the most potential out of it. Their USB interface and other tuning aids look promising too.

Recon Danny (07-31-2022)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Thundermax w/ autotune all the way my friend. No dyne tunning necessary. Justs select you mods from the choices and upload them to the unit. Each. Time you ride the system learns your setup and smooths out the tune. Almost like being on a dyne every time you ride. BEST THING OUT THERE!

Recon Danny (07-31-2022)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thundermax w/Auto Tune is what I've got...I love it. It's simple enough that I could install it and tune it myself, and it adjusts itself on the fly as well. It uses it's own O2 sensors that come with the kit.

The only other tuner I'd use is TTS Mastertune, and as far as I know it's not quite as user friendly as Thundermax, but those who have it swear by it.

Just personal preference, but I'd never go with PCIII or SERT.

Quick Reply: Best tuner ?