Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2001 FLHTC radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
NitroBerserker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 FLHTC radio problem

OK my radio quit. lights still on, clock still keeps time, when you turn on the igniton it makes the normal clicks but will not power up. and I can't change the clock time. BTW its a cassette not a CD.
I've tried disconnecting the battery ( just lost the time ) pulling the fuses, they are good, i've tried accessing the diagnostics mode and it shows a 11011 code but I don't know what that means. aslo you cannot navigate in the diagnostic mode but when you push the preset buttons some of the numbers in the code change from 1 to 0 (binary I guess) WHAT does it all mean, any clues out there?

Old 10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2001 FLHTC radio problem

You are killin' me.....

The 11011 that you see is the diagnostic mode #1, and those are the toggle actions 1- stationary 0- switch/button active or pressed.....

There are 4 or 5 diagnostic modes for the Radio Sound unit....

You cycle through them with the soft keys (Radio buttons [Seek/Scan/DX, etc)...

Off the top of my head I can't remember the cycle (Pony Tail is too tight right now...)

Definitely helps to have an Electrical Diagnostics Manual right about now.....

Too bad it didn't happen at the shop.... Coulda hooked it right up than and there....

Old 10-03-2006, 09:21 PM
NitroBerserker
Tourer

Well if thats the case it must think one of the buttons is still pressed, No thats not it I just tried them all and they all make one of the numbers change. it did this about a week ago, quit that is, then just fixed itself ? I should have known then it would come back to haunt me.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

Any recent work in the switch housings? Many times a pinched wire will do that. All the #'s should be 1's to start in that test mode.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:44 PM
rick302
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem with radio on 02' FLHTCI.

1st week of June had dealer install cruise control. Replaced right hand switch assembly.
2nd week of June radio died. No power on/off. Mode switch gave same codes you got.
Took bike to different dealer, Harley said ECM was bad. Replaced ECM, approx. $500.00.
ECM wasm't the fix, but dealer said it was reporting codes & needed replacement anyway.
Dealer replaced right side handelbar controls saying it had a strafed wire shorting out on the Mode Switch. Radio appeared ok after that fix. A few days later I tried to switch bands. Nothing happened. Radio turned on/off, volumn worked, changed channels ok, but would not change bands. I now have a ghost in electronics. Most of the time radio works except changing bands, however intermittently I turn the bike on and the radio comes on, the volumn does not work, it won't change channels, & won't turn off. Turn bike off/on & problem disappears. This has happened about 4 times. Dealer says when it happens again bring it in. They have no idea!
Rick

Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Electra1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same problem with my 2001 FLHTCUI. I found that one or 2 buttons on the handle bar controls were stuck. Dirt and water, I think corroded the contacts that the buttons push on. Once I cleaned around each button on the handle bar controls the radio worked fine. Give it a try.
Electra 1