Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Street Glide: How to Listen to HD Radio Through Headphones?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2011 Street Glide: How to Listen to HD Radio Through Headphones?

I want to be able to listen to the stock HD radio on my 2011 Street Glide through headphones. What are my options?
Thanks

Old 04-17-2011, 07:38 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know. Let's just see.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Do the Ultras have this ability?
Thanks

Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts

The Ultras come with a headset and you plug it in to the tank console. It's a hardwire system, not Bluetooth.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Udawg
The Ultras come with a headset and you plug it in to the tank console. It's a hardwire system, not Bluetooth.
Any idea what parts would be required to fit this type of system to a Street Glide?

This headset, is it a 9 pin connector?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

No it is a 7 pin connector. To get the function you will need to purchase and install a Communications kit from HD. Make sure to think about whether you will want to add a CB on later. There are two kits and one ONLY does the Music/Intercom, and the other kits has provision for the CB as well. If you decide to add the CB later and had already installed the Music kit you will have to buy the other kit, leaving you with BOTH of the kits. Read on HD's site:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 04-17-2011, 11:04 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Stang951
No it is a 7 pin connector. To get the function you will need to purchase and install a Communications kit from HD. Make sure to think about whether you will want to add a CB on later. There are two kits and one ONLY does the Music/Intercom, and the other kits has provision for the CB as well. If you decide to add the CB later and had already installed the Music kit you will have to buy the other kit, leaving you with BOTH of the kits. Read on HD's site:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
With the 7 pin plug, does that mean I'm stuck using only the HD/Boom headphones? What's the sound quality of these? Would I be better off with some type of high-end ear buds?

I'm not concerned with CB function, or even rider to passenger communication. My Street Glide is going to get the HD XM module and Ipod interface.

Ultimately, I would just like my passenger and myself to be able to listen to the HD radio through headphones (with separate volume controls).

Can this be done?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Iron Cross audio repairs the HK radios as well as adds a external headset jack and you could then use a bluetooth headset up for both you and the passenger or a hardwired setup. I have been thinking about this setup or maybe the HD set up but the Iron cross set up intriges me. Maybe someone whom has experience with the Iron cross setup can speak on this option. I have not had time to contact Iron cross to inquire. Good Luck

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html

Stand alone services switched headphone output.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can send your radio into iron cross. I think they can install a headphone out jack on it. You could then use a y splitter to have two 1/8 jacks out and use an inline volume control to adjust independent volume for you and a passenger.

www.ironcrossaudio.com

edit:
Looks like scubamike is a faster typer than I am....

Old 04-17-2011, 11:34 PM
blueduramax
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have considered just adding a speaker switch that cuts out the fairing speakers and transfers the signal to an outlet for the ear buds. My concern is will the signal to the 2 ohm fairing speakers blow out the ear bud speakers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Street Glide: How to Listen to HD Radio Through Headphones?