Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing drive belt on dyna

Old 04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
maduxfn31
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing drive belt on dyna

How hard is it to change the the drive belt on a wide glide I have a manual and i do most of my own wrenching but when it comes to removing the clutch and primary chain I'm a little nervous of that. is it a major job or am I over reacting and how long of a project is it thanks

Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's nothing "complicated" with this job. You have to make sure you have the right size sockets for those friggin big nuts and a proper torque wrench capable of high settings. As it states in the manual, use heat on the nuts to soften the loctite and have a long breaker bar for leverage. Don't break your back; the heat REALLY works. Read your manual ahead of time so you have all the parts on hand; there may be one-time-use fasteners that need to be replaced. Also refer to your manual as you go, at least one of the nuts (the mainshaft nut on the clutch pack I believe) is left handed thread. Don't know what year your bike is but, if it states in the manual not to use the "step" type primary drive locking tool, DON'T use it. You can make the flat bar type primary drive locking tool out of aluminum bar stock, just look at the photo in the manual and you'll know how to make it. While you're in there check the chain tensioner, and you might as well replace all the seals you come in contact with, and possibly, the inner primary bearing.
The job can be done in one day but, if you have time, take a day to disassemble and a day to put it all back together.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 436 Likes on 251 Posts

I think the step primary locker is only a problem on Sportsters, I use a JIMS Delrin one on Big Twins and its fine.

Clutch is Left Hand Thread. Get a big bar or pipe for the crankshaft nut...I use a drag pipe off a crashed Dyna.

It is not difficult at all, very straight forward really....get yourself a belt tension tool though or you will be wasting your time.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:03 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I think the step primary locker is only a problem on Sportsters, I use a JIMS Delrin one on Big Twins and its fine.

....get yourself a belt tension tool though or you will be wasting your time.
Don't know about the Sportster but, my '06 Dyna manual states not to use the step type primary locker. At any rate, the bar type tool is easy to make...
+1 on the belt tension tool - inexpensive and makes adjusting the belt simple and accurate.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The only reason to not use the step type or wedge on an 06-up is possible damage to the auto adjuster

Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Not tough at all. You do want to get all your parts lined up ahead of time tho. I installed a chrome inner primary on my ride a few months ago....and because I had already purchased a parts manual for my bike, I was able to identify exactly the parts I was going to need and get them stage and ready to go. I had it done in an afternoon...