EVO All Evo Model Discussion

S&S oil pump & EVO

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 AM
evofloyd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S oil pump & EVO

Did any one else put an s&s oil pump on their EVO ? what a pain it was with oil pressure. Its a high volume pump, not high pressure. The stock oil filter didnt work, went with a k&n high flow filter, and was told by k&n I would not lose filtration, but who knows.
Was just wondering it any one else was running a s&s pump on their evo and had the same trouble.
Stock filter 60# psi cold,and it would come out the push rod covers. Was heating the bike up with a space heater before starting. K&N filter 40# psi cold. Hot it runs 15+ at an idle.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 PM
topfuel7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reusable stainless filters would probably solve that problem. One reason professional teams use them is because they are non restrictive. The nascar guys probably use serious high flow pumps.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:55 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 438 Likes on 252 Posts

Sounds like the K&N was the cure...they pretty much can be trusted to know what they are talking about...if any USA based firm makes a statement they could be sued for you can bet they did their homework!!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 05:59 AM
evofloyd
Cruiser
Default K&N

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Sounds like the K&N was the cure...they pretty much can be trusted to know what they are talking about...if any USA based firm makes a statement they could be sued for you can bet they did their homework!!!!
Yep K&N was the trick, still have not found any one who put a S&S pump on a Evo, I know I'm not the first.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:55 AM
drachman
Stage I
Unhappy

Yes, I have fitted an S&S pump to my '96 FLHR. Same issues here as with yours. I'm worried that in fact the oil isn't getting to the top end - I'll check this again.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've got an S&S on mine... but it's not the 'high volume' pump.... got just a stock replacement... was told the 'high volume' pump isn't good for the EVO's....but heck, if the K&N solved the problem, then cool

Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 AM
evofloyd
Cruiser

Well the S&S pump is fine. When I put the pump on I also put a 4 core jagg oil cooler on at the same time. The extra 30 % oil flow didnt want to pass through the cooler. I ended up pulling the cooler off. Now I know should have used at lest a 6 core cooler.
Cold the oil pressure is around 40#, hot at an idle 15# with 20-50. Next oil change going to straight 50

Old 07-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Havoc88
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evofloyd
Well the S&S pump is fine. When I put the pump on I also put a 4 core jagg oil cooler on at the same time. The extra 30 % oil flow didnt want to pass through the cooler. I ended up pulling the cooler off. Now I know should have used at lest a 6 core cooler.
Cold the oil pressure is around 40#, hot at an idle 15# with 20-50. Next oil change going to straight 50
Hey man, thanks for the update, its nice to know when someone solves a mystery problem like that, especially when the solution is one of those that give you the WTF feeling LOL
Glad ya got it solved!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 AM
mostSilly
Advanced

I have an S&S pump on mine, '88 FLHS, BUT I don't know what model pump, not do I have an oil pressure gauge. Looks like I have some homework ...

Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 PM
evofloyd
Cruiser
Default guage

Originally Posted by mostSilly
I have an S&S pump on mine, '88 FLHS, BUT I don't know what model pump, not do I have an oil pressure gauge. Looks like I have some homework ...
At the sending unit for the oil light I put in a nipple, "T" nipple with a 45* and a liquid filled guage. The nipples I first used were steel and would leak at the block. Went with brass because of the heat esspansion difference with the block and steel nipple. Dont use a cheep guage, they have a plastic lens and will melt. Also with the "T" you still use the sending unit and still have your oil light.

Quick Reply: S&S oil pump & EVO