Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheader on a Dyna and ?s

Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 PM
MyBeerBelly
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderheader on a Dyna and ?s

Hi All
Im looking to pull the trigger on a thunderheader for my scoot and I have a few questions...
Im running a pc3 and a big sucker, will I be ok?
Heat shields? Are they needed?
Best place to order from?...looking to get 2, one for me and my buddy...
Any other info I should know?
thanks
Jay

Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 PM
los
Advanced

should work with the pc3 just need the proper map loaded.
definitely need either heat shields, thermo wrap or ceramic coating. I cooked my boot on the pipe the first day i decided to run them with no shielding.
as for place to get them, i got them off ebay brand new from some company like 90 bucks less than everywhere else.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:34 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Dynojet has a Thunderheader map on their web site to download .
I bought mine from American classic motors (eBay), had it in less than 5 days
Heat shields....Depends . if you are running forwards, you wont "need" them . I didn't have them on my FXDWG, and never had any issues . They do help cover the discoloration the chrome ones get . So, it's all up to you .

Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 AM
apehanger65
Tourer

i have a thunderheader on my 06 streetbob...love it! also have the power commander, just have to map it. You definitely want heat sheilds or wrap it or coat it. The only thing i dont like is (i have chome w heat sheilds) the chrome where the 2 pipes meet started to rust rather quickly, i probably will paint or coat them in the future. They perform great and sound good

Old 04-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just put thunderheaders on mine last week. Love them so far. Yes, heat shields are a must. HOWEVER, i was told they have to be bought seperate? Ordered mine from Direct Harley Parts. I had a discount card but before that they were 479 shipped. When i opened the box i realized they actually had the heat shields in there...so there you go....you might get lucky like i did, or ya might not....

Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 AM
grizzwold
Tourer

I love the sound and performance of the t-header but like some others have said, the finish is less than perfect. I just took mine off this weekend because I noticed some rust and pitting on various parts of the pipe. It would be nice if they would come out with a full coverage heat shield because at this rate all I can do is paint it, I don't think re-chroming is an option.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 AM
jims79flh
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the sound and look of my T-header's (dyna, shovelhead) but the chrome is **** and their customer service is worse then the chrome. Would I buy one again, I don't know. I like the look and sound of the Bassani Road Rage.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 AM
apehanger65
Tourer

Originally Posted by grizzwold
i love the sound and performance of the t-header but like some others have said, the finish is less than perfect. I just took mine off this weekend because i noticed some rust and pitting on various parts of the pipe. It would be nice if they would come out with a full coverage heat shield because at this rate all i can do is paint it, i don't think re-chroming is an option.
i always say the same thing. Most other companies offer full heat shields... Dont know why they dont , the finish is my only complaint with these pipes..i guess thats why so many wind up painting them or wrapping them or just order them in black from the get go

Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't like how the rear header pipe comes forward on the Dyna model TH, so I bought a Softail TH and built my own mtg. bracket. I would definitely go with heat shield or wrap, the TH does get HOT.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Horseshack
Advanced

I bought a TH from J & P Cycles for my Fat Bob in the fall and used a TTS Mastertune for the dyno. It was a nice performance and sound upgrade from my SE slip ons. Yes, the chrome sucks and they discolor, but I really don't give a rip. You can always wrap them. I'm totally happy with the pipes so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thunderheader on a Dyna and ?s